• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stan Nicholls: Orcs

lenny nero

Standard action adventure/fantasy with orcs as the protags, even though they don't really act like I thought orcs were supposed to act, instead they pretty much act like a human. For some reason I thought they would be evil and vicious, but instead they're honorable and level headed. I was hoping for more raping and pillaging.:sad: I'm giving it :star3: for being action packed, with a blazing narrative, and a cool cover.

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_418XYyVKM1L._BO2_204_203_200_Pa31978b91a16744d33657db4af3d06cb.jpg

lenny nero said:
they don't really act like I thought orcs were supposed to act, instead they pretty much act like a human.
That's because Stan wanted to get some publicity for his book by using a name of a race of characters created by Tolkien. At least this is what I gathered from reading Amazon reviews.

There's an interview in the back of the book with him where he said he wanted to change the idea that fantasy readers had about orcs. He must be doing a good job since he's already published another trilogy and has a graphic novel on the way.

But, orcs aren't supposed to be honorable or level headed. I think he has them confused with Klingons and Vulcans.

I only know the first book of the series. Naja...as we say in German. I prefer the Warhammer orcs (a bit stupid, brutal and sometimes even funny guys). The orcs in the books were really very "klingonisch". It was not bad and nevertheless good entertainment, but I`m just no real fan of that kind of orcs.

Back