• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Star Wars: was The Galactic Empire really that bad?

That's a good point. In retrospect, their biggest sin was letting Obi Wan take on Anakin as padawan.

depends on whether you believe in predestination or not. If the midichlorians chose him to be "The One" from the prophecy to bring balance to the force, then his training and time with the dark side was preordained and it would have made no difference who trained him.

but did Darth Vader fail to fulfill his destiny when he rejected the dark side and refused to kill Luke? If he did fulfill his destiny in that moment and did bring balance to the force then the midichlorians were not wrong.

Only to set the stage for Luke Skywalker to found a new Jedi Academy on Yavin IV where the balance would be tipped once again.

Well now if we are diverting into the books then I think Luke kept the balance quite nicely with his own little foray into the dark side. I haven't read that particular one, but there are references to it in others I have read.....

which reminds I have an entire collection I need to get to one of these days.

but did Darth Vader fail to fulfill his destiny when he rejected the dark side and refused to kill Luke? If he did fulfill his destiny in that moment and did bring balance to the force then the midichlorians were not wrong.
Midichlorians yech, another horrendous Star Wars retcon. In the old days (the eighties) the Force was between you and that rock or you and that tree, everywhere, waiting to be accessed by everyone with training for good or evil.

That's no longer good enough to be a Jedi (or a Sith Lord) the Midichlorians choose you to be part of an elite.

And Han shot first!

I think the Jedi's biggest problem was an unwillingness to bend. They said only a Sith deals in absolutes, but the Jedi Counsel itself refused to be flexible or adapt as things changed.

although one does have to be careful to differentiate between the complacent inertia of bureaucracy and the absolute inflexibility of the Sith which was 'my way or you are are dead'.

although one does have to be careful to differentiate between the complacent inertia of bureaucracy and the absolute inflexibility of the Sith which was 'my way or you are are dead'.

True, but there are times when inertia is just as dangerous and can ultimately be just as deadly.

Alderaan was a tragedy.
The Empire itself...as in the body of general people wasn't evil...but it certainly had some evil people in the ranks. True for any system/beaurocracy.

despite the movie evidence only thing...
it's actually The Old Republic game (specifically the imperial agent storyline) that makes me feel both sides have their good and evil peoples.

Back