• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen Fry

Marge

Has anyone read any Stephen Fry books? I started off having a flip through Moab Is My Washpot, and then found myself voraciously going through his entire output so far. I think Making History is one of his best books - it is so moving. :eek:

... mind you, I do wish he wouldn't write such rude words :eek:

I've read a couple. The Hippopotomus, among others. While I love his sense of humor in person, his writing is a little to arch (droll?) sometimes. Definitely have to be in the mood for it. Also, he tends to veer off into the perverse pretty regularly. Whether good or bad, one is constantly aware that one is reading Stephen Fry, I think.

I'm a huge Bit of Fry and Laurie fan, and think their Jeeves and Wooster are unsurpassed.

I've read The Star's Tennis Balls, and while I did enjoy it, I never picked up another book of his.

... that book is based on The Count Of Monte Cristo.

He has also written a factual book about his trip to Peru with a team to save the spectacled bear. It is quite funny and truthful, and there are good pics too.

I know he's such a huge fan of P. G. Wodehouse that he calls himself the arch-Wodehousian, of whom I've read quite a bit - but I understand that the two are not really comparable (Wodehouse would never repeat never use obscene words).

Cheers

I suppose it's to do with style. After all I doubt very much people always said 'blasted rotter' and stuff like that years ago.

Martin said:
I know he's such a huge fan of P. G. Wodehouse that he calls himself the arch-Wodehousian, of whom I've read quite a bit - but I understand that the two are not really comparable (Wodehouse would never repeat never use obscene words).

Cheers

I think Wodehouse is much funnier and much lighter. They're both in a long tradition of English satirical humor, including Waugh, Swift, Amis, Stella Gibbons . . . To me, a better equivalent of Wodehouse's style is S.J. Perelman, though he brings NY Jewish humor into it and was amply illustrated by Al Hirschfeld, which doesn't hurt.

Fry's writing often seems strained to me, like he's trying too hard. I never get that feeling with Wodehouse. He just keeps the nonsense lightly bubbling, like decent Champagne.

Back