• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King on sequel to 'The Shining', 'Dr. Sleep'/

Will

Starburst magazine has a couple of videos of King confirming earlier stories, including posts on his official site's forums, that he has planned now a sequel to The Shining, entitled Dr Sleep.

That story (and videos) are here here.

I am a bit worried about the whole 'mind vampire' thing that he's bringing in. The whole psychic mind vampire thing has done before in Simmons' Carrion Comfort... and at times sounded a bit similar. Sounds like he's really going for a different angle however, a complete 180 from The Shining.

I think his plans originally were to finish the Dark Tower books (which was going to slot in between books 6 and 7 if I recall...) and then start on Dr. Sleep. I don't know, and can't find out right now, whether he has wrapped the Dark Tower book he was writing.

The cancellation by Universal of the film adaptation may have had him re-order his priorities perhaps, choosing to focus on Dr. Sleep instead given the associated marketing he may have counted on for any Dark Tower book - or he may have finished that book. I am not sure.

Also, that's not a definite scrapping of that project though, as I understand Howard is seeking external financing in order to proceed. Not the right climate financially for such a project though...

Yes, I think so too. Whilst there's no arguing the prowess and box-office behemoths or critically acclaimed nature some of his adaptations, that's a serious commitment to the Dark Tower series when alot of such films adapted have gone quite wrong...

There's a ton of King movie and small-screen adaptation stuff that I really need to watch - mini-series more than anything. Though I didn't really enjoy the book, I understand Desperation is supposed to be quite good.

My favorite King adaptations are Misery and Insomnia.

I do not believe I have ever seen Desperation.

Misery is seriously good. By that I mean quite creepy and horrific in parts.

I'd no idea there was an adaptation of Insomnia! That would be cool. Are you definitely sure it's Insomnia you're thinking of?

I recently finished Bag of Bones and I understand they're making that into a mini-series - though after finishing that book, really wonder if it's worth it.

I have no idea why I said Insomnia.

It's the other one with Bates in it. I'm a consistent idiot at least.

I do that stuff all the time... one sec, lemme IMDB it... Dolores Claiborne! That's the bunny. I've not read it actually. Any good?

Yes! I'd have got 'round to looking it up eventually but very kind of you sir.

I enjoyed it. Bates plays the role splendidly. She may not be much to look at but the gal has talent. It's a different kind of scary than her Misery role. Perhaps the contrast between the two is why I always think of them as my favorites.

:shrug

I think his plans originally were to finish the Dark Tower books (which was going to slot in between books 6 and 7 if I recall...) and then start on Dr. Sleep. I don't know, and can't find out right now, whether he has wrapped the Dark Tower book he was writing.

You may want to check the Dark Tower thread . . . ;).

Anamnesis, do you mean this one? I still can't see whether he wrapped that prequel/mid series book in here - can you point out where I need to looking please.

from stephenking.com

U.S. publication date for Doctor Sleep set for 2013
May 8th, 2012 9:08:34 am

Stephen King returns to the characters and territory of one of his most popular novels ever, The Shining, in this instantly riveting novel about the now middle-aged Dan Torrance (the boy protagonist of The Shining) and the very special twelve-year-old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless—mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and tween Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the “steam” that children with the “shining” produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father’s legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him, and a job at a nursing home where his remnant “shining” power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes “Doctor Sleep.”

Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan’s own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra’s soul and survival. This is an epic war between good and evil, a gory, glorious story that will thrill the millions of hyper-devoted readers of The Shining and wildly satisfy anyone new to the territory of this icon in the King canon.

Back