• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stitch 'n Bitch - Debbie Stoller

Litany

The Stitch 'n Bitch Handbook and Stitch 'n Bitch Nation are quite possibly the two most funnest knitting books there are. Because, believe it or not, knitting actually is fun. It's a craft that has moved on from the days of evil grannies knitting itchy, sweaty, ill-fitting jumpers for their long suffering grandkiddies and is now beloved by all the beautiful poncho wearing A list celebrities of the world.

The first book is where the learning happens. The first half is an introduction to knitting, its history and how the author came to return to the craft after many years away. Then you're onto the diagrams and the knotty bits. I already knew how to knit when I bought this book, so I skimmed this part, but I have it on good authority that it's all very clearly explained and easy to use. Then comes the good bit. The patterns.

Flick quickly past the boring old scarves and hats and soon you arrive at the monkey backpack, the stripey socks, the skull and crossbones jumper, the lovely red hoodie (which I now own), the lovely cable jumper (made that one too), the matching red sweaters for dog and owner, the teeny weeny bikini (nope, didn't make that one), and the fuzzy pink cat bed. The patterns are clear and easy to follow and leave you with a jumper that fits and doesn't make you look like a lopsided Oxfam reject. Bonus.

The second book, Nation, is all about designing your own patterns. The first half of the book explains how to take existing patterns and make them your own. Even the maths isn't that scary. The book also includes little descriptions of various Stitch 'n Bitch groups across America, though I found those bits quite dull. There are only so many variations of the 'I got bored knitting by myself so now I knit down the pub' stories you can read before your brain switches off.

The patterns were contributed by knitters from all over America, and each pattern comes with a little bio about the designer. And the patterns are fantastic. A furry bear hat complete with ears, crocodiddly mittens, scary fuzz monster slippers, satan trousers for toddlers, dog jumpers, mobile phone animals, fluffy dice for the car and mini rockstars to replace the friends you lost because you stayed in all weekend knitting.

You can see all the patterns in the books here, just click on the cover images to get to the slide shows.

The main gripe I have with the books is their Americaness. The yarns used in the book are probably all very easily available over there, but instead I have to spend hours trawling through the internet looking for suitable substitutions. But this is really more of a problem with UK suppliers than with the book itself.

Everyone should knit. It's very calming and you're never more than a few feet away from a pointy stick.

I like these books, too, though I've only knitted small things from them. My bear hat was the bestest thing I ever knitted. Til I lost it. :(

I've thought about buying these for my daughter Emily, who loves to knit. They sound like a real hoot to read and if the patterns are great..whoohoo!

Of course I could upseize it. But I'm just curious. Does Bronte have the same size head as a 3-4 year old?

Of course I could upseize it. But I'm just curious. Does Bronte have the same size head as a 3-4 year old?
I could give you the bear hat pattern, but it's pointless anyway as the yarn has been discontinued. :mad:

My head is an average sort of head size. It's smaller when I've had a haircut.

I have the crochet one too. But I didn't write a review for that one yet. All I've made so far is the one skein scarf. I'll have to dig out all my piccies of the stuff I've made from them just to prove I did.

There are quite a few errata for the crochet one which are worth checking before you start anything.

Mine had laods of bits of paper in it telling me stuff was wrong. They all fell out and I promptly binned them. This probably accounts for why I'm crap at crochet.

That's a lot of mistakes! Does nobody test knit from pre publication patterns at all? Not all of those can simply be printing errors.

Back