• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions for a 9 year old

Motokid

My 9 year old, who's not a very avid reader to say the least, thinks she may be interested in a horror story.

Can any of you horror-maniacs suggest something appropriate?
No sexual situations please. No extreme violence, more suspenseful...

Most imposrtantly the reading should be pretty easy and quick to develop.

I know this is asking for a Ferrari that seats 6 and gets good gas milage, but that's why I turned to you guys. Maybe you know of something that could ignite a spark in a young reader?

Any suggestions?

Try the Goosebumps series of books by R.L. Stine... The books were popular when I was around that age, and contain no gore, sex, etc. Usually around 100-150 pages each, they are quick and rather easy to read, even at very young ages. Just be certain not to expect much out of them, because the books are mindless and unoriginal.

I cannot even BEGIN to help you here! I was reading Stephen King by that age. My parents tried very hard to shield me from what they thought would scar me. Never worked. Watched Jaws very young, Cujo very young, Alien, etc. I've always read horror books!

I suggest the Goosebumps series as well, although I found them quite tedious after awhile. Maybe Roald Dahl.

I read Boy around that age (Dahl), and for some reason it terrified me. Then again I always did scary easily. The Goosebumps books weren't as scary for me, and not as well-written either, though my brother, who reads less, read a significant number of them. We also used to read these stories:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...58/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/104-1141713-6866312

Everyone had volume three, I never saw volumes one or two, oddly. They're horribly unoriginal and don't give the thrill your son's probably looking for, but it's worth a shot if your desperate.

hey, i would try the FEAR STREET books!!! they are pretty good, but i don't know if you can get them in english, just search for them!!
bye

Books I've read to my kids

Cirque du Freak series - by Darren Shan (more teen-oriented but no sex)

Spooksville Series - by Christopher Pike

Shadow Zone series - by J. R. Black

Weird Zone series - by Tony Abbott

Monster Manor series - by Paul Martin (picture books - silly)

Did you hear about Stephen King's pop up book? "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon". (it's an edited version of his novel of the same title). (One of King's sons said that he wouldn't let his kid read it until she was 10... or something like that)

Neil Gaiman who writes a lot of horror graphic novels has some children books out too: "Coraline", "Wolves in the Walls"...

I loved R.L. Stine when I was a kid! Goosbumps were great!

Yes, I've heard about the pop-up book. I haven't bought it yet but Amazon offered me a combined deal with the new baseball one he wrote.

What about the Point Horror series? I read a few of these as a kid - avoid the R.L. Stine ones though, they were awfully similar and highly unoriginal when compared to the less contributary authors.

Thank you all for your suggestions. As soon as she's done with the book she has to read for a scholl report, we'll be hitting the library with a list from these recommendations.

Thanks again :)

Motokid said:
My 9 year old, who's not a very avid reader to say the least, thinks she may be interested in a horror story.

Can any of you horror-maniacs suggest something appropriate?
No sexual situations please. No extreme violence, more suspenseful...

Most imposrtantly the reading should be pretty easy and quick to develop.

I know this is asking for a Ferrari that seats 6 and gets good gas milage, but that's why I turned to you guys. Maybe you know of something that could ignite a spark in a young reader?

Any suggestions?
I agree with the others here who mentioned Goosebumps and Point Horror.

I still read some Point Horror books now days because I have found them addictive :eek:

An *awesome* book I read as a youngster was 'Room 13' by Robert Swindells. Check him out as a horror author for youngsters. He also wrote 'Hydra', 'The Thousand Eyes of Night' (which similarly terrified me) and a few other titles.

These are suspenseful, with no swearing, no romance and little gore. But they are really superb and you can relate to the characters.

I strongly recommend the Darren Shan series. I have read all twelve and loved them to bits. I think any reader from 8+ should read it if they get the oppurtunity. The first book is Cirque Du Freak.

"It" is definitely too advanced for her.
I'll try some of the other suggestions.

Thanx tho', I appreciate it.

How about The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (my son loved it at eleven)
or The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury
both are excellent.

Back