• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: January 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

This thread will close on 30th November, 2004.

As I've recently discovered, a poll can only have 10 options max, so the first 10 suggestions (one per person) will be put forward for the vote.

The Abyss - Orson Scott Card <- although this is a novelisation based on a movie, it is MUCH better than the movie, and much, much, much more in-depth. A very good read.

My suggestion

Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End Of The World - Haruki Murakami.

A great read, exciting and engaging.

Mark

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.

This is nearly 7 years old I think, but I'm very interested in it. It seemed to have some purient interest initially because it's written by a man, and so is a stellar work of imagination, but I read the first chapter (link below) and love the voice.

Anyone considering voting for this might enjoy a look at Chapter 1:

http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/g/golden-geisha.html

I was really impressed with Memoirs of a Geisha. I read it last year and had trouble putting it down. I know I would enjoy reading it again.

I know there has already been 10 suggestions, but I'm sure rules can be bent for me!

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

...Looks like a good un'...

I second Memoirs of a Geisha.

I had a teacher back in high school who was reading it. She was telling us about it one day when a student put up her hand and asked "What in the world does that have to do with a gay chef?" It was quite funny. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back