• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: June 2013: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polly Parrot

Staff member
No theme this time around. Simply pick a book you would like to nominate for June's BOTM.

Not going through with the options of the original thread, sadly, as there aren't enough participants to have a lively discussions with.

I will keep this thread open for five days and then create a poll.

Petals from the Sky - Mingmei Yip

When twenty-year-old Meng Ning declares that she wants to be a Buddhist nun, her mother is aghast. In her eyes, a nun's life means only deprivation - 'no freedom, no love, no meat'. But to Meng Ning, it means the chance to control her own destiny, and to live in an oasis of music, art, and poetry far from her parents' unhappy union. With an enigmatic nun known as Yi Kong, 'Depending on Emptiness', as her mentor, Meng Ning spends the next ten years studying abroad, disdaining men, and preparing to enter the nunnery. Then, a fire breaks out at her Buddhist retreat, and Meng Ning is carried to safety by Michael Fuller, a young American doctor. The unprecedented physical contact stirs her curiosity. And as their tentative friendship grows intimate, Meng Ning realizes she must choose between the sensual and the spiritual life.

What about, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?

Description.

The book describes, in first
person, a 17-day journey on his
motorcycle from Minnesota to
California by the author (though
he is not identified in the book)
and his son Chris, joined for the
first nine days by close friends
John and Sylvia Sutherland. The
trip is punctuated by numerous
philosophical discussions,
referred to as Chautauquas by
the author, on topics including
epistemology, ethical emotivism
and the philosophy of science.

What about, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?

Description.

The book describes, in first
person, a 17-day journey on his
motorcycle from Minnesota to
California by the author (though
he is not identified in the book)
and his son Chris, joined for the
first nine days by close friends
John and Sylvia Sutherland. The
trip is punctuated by numerous
philosophical discussions,
referred to as Chautauquas by
the author, on topics including
epistemology, ethical emotivism
and the philosophy of science.

Sounds interesting!

Yes it does, it was suggested to me by someone and thought that it might be something interesting to read and, hopefully talk about :).

Zen and the Art of Motor-cycle maintenance of course has nothing to do with either. Although I must confess I could probably make a good argument for it being entirely zen-like.

We could read the Tao of Pooh as well and compare them :)

I'll leave this thread open for another few days in case anyone else cares to join. If no-one else suggests anything, we'll be discussing Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back