• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

suggestions PLEASE

feedpaper

i was wondering if any body could suggest a fiction book that might be a story of a child/ bad child hood, struggle, or some kind of abuse?

Not sure about any fiction books as a lot of these type of books are based on true stories. If you haven't read it I would suggest A Boy Called It. It is hard going but worth the read.

I would suggest A Boy Called It as well, I've never cried so hard while reading a book, for more fictional reading there is Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison.

There's a rumour that the bestseller It-Boy-Trilogy is fictious.

I recommend:

'Sarah' & 'The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things' by JT LeRoy
(supposedly partly autobiographic)

'Lolita' by Vladimir Nabokov

'Die schwarzen Brüder' by Lisa Tetzner

How about "The Box Children" by Sharon Wyse.

Description:

Eleven-year-old Lou Ann Campbell starts a diary on scraps of paper that she hides from her mother in a barrel behind the bunkhouse on her family's Texas wheat farm. Lou Ann's mother has had five miscarriages and Lou Ann has created the box children--five plastic dolls who live in a shoe box--to memorialize these "ghost babies."

The Box Children is Lou Ann's secret diary. Through her spare, sure voice, we share Lou Ann's experiences over the course of one extraordinary summer. The Box Children is also a record of Lou Ann's relationships--with her unstable and cruel mother, who intrudes into every aspect of Lou Ann's life; her adulterous father, whose relative sweetness compels Lou Ann to excuse serious excesses in behavior; her older brother, who rejects her as he struggles with what it means to "be a man"; and with the box children, who become her only companions.

Try The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls.
amazon.de said:
This is a startling memoir of a successful journalist's journey from the deserted and dusty mining towns of the American Southwest, to an antique filled apartment on Park Avenue. Jeanette Walls narrates her nomadic and adventurous childhood with her dreaming, 'brilliant' but alcoholic parents. At the age of seventeen she escapes on a Greyhound bus to New York with her older sister; her younger siblings follow later. After pursuing the education and civilisation her parents sought to escape, Jeanette eventually succeeds in her quest for the 'mundane, middle class existence' she had always craved. In her apartment, overlooked by 'a portrait of someone else's ancestor' she recounts poignant remembered images of star watching with her father, juxtaposed with recollections of irregular meals, accidents and police-car chases and reveals her complex feelings of shame, guilt, pity and pride toward her parents.

feedpaper said:
i was wondering if any body could suggest a fiction book that might be a story of a child/ bad child hood, struggle, or some kind of abuse?

oh i have many! "Candy" by Kevin Brooks-- any books by Jt LeRoy("Sarah" & "The heart is deceitful above all things")---"Lucky" or "Bones" by Alice Seabold. i have more but i can't remember. but a good way to find books about a bad child hood/drug abuse/struggles is go to barnesandnoble.com and do a book search using any of those words. thats how i find most of my books.

I read The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls and I actually loved it. I would not have picked up this book to read...but my wife talked me into it. She is not the greatest writer, but the story of what she had to go through is amazing.

OMG. Phantom by Susan Kay. The boy in it, Erik, is born with a hideous face, and his mother beats him all the time because her reputation is ruined. Since he's a genius, the effects of the abuse are actually even worse. I read the whole long book in a day and a half. I loved it; it's very disturbing though.
Apparently, Erik's mom is afraid she's going to commit incest because the child's singing voice is so beautiful.

Wolhay said:
There's a rumour that the bestseller It-Boy-Trilogy is fictious.
Oprah's gonna be mighty pissed if that's the case, because I first heard of David Peltzer through her show. They also had on the show the teacher who saved him and finally brought in the authorities. She seemed such a lovely lady, and it was really emotional to see his reaction as apparently he hadn't seen her since he moved away. Unfortunately I think there'll be a strong grain of truth to it, although one must imagine that the story through a child's eyes or as a result of recollection could be somehow different to the reality of the situation. Enough to plant the rumour that it's not entirely true, at any rate.

I'd also recommend Candy by Kevin Brooks, and Smashed by Koren Zailckas.

Candy is about this guy, Joe, who meets this girl, Candy, who turns out to be a girl stuck in a world of prostitution and drugs. Joe's life moves forward when his band gets a record deal and needing Joe's involvement, his sister and her boyfriend are getting married, and trying to keep his grades up in school, Joe puts his life on hold and tries to help Candy out of her world and away from her pimp Iggy.

Smashed is about a girl, Koren, who had her first drink at the age of 14. While her friends come and go, using her, she spins out of control. She gets into college and goes to the bar 5-6 nights a week, joins a sorority, and has drunken sex with someone she can't even stand--- completed with nightly blackouts and the morning after hangovers. As she tries to pull herself out of the stereotypical college parties, she finds herself being pulled back in.'

These books are very well written and I would recommend them to everyone.
I'll post more book suggestions soon!

xoxo
Christen

feedpaper said:

Hi. It just so happens I have just released my first novel entitled: Stars of David about a a child who was born physically challenged, whose single parent caused his emotional imprisonment, and his journey to function as an adult male. Please see the link to read more about it. It is fiction. Thanks!

Back