• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Summer 2010: Fyodor Dostoevsky: The Brothers Karamazov

Landslide

Discussion is open.

Also, if those participating feel they need more time to read and discuss the book, please let us know.

Pennsylvania State University will let you download the book via PDF format, click here in order to do that. The wikipedia entry is also a good place to start before reading.

I'm almost done with book one right now, I hope to have it done tonight, as well as to look at a few articles on the book that have been published, which is a lot. TBK makes for good thesis material evidently.

The meeting of the family in Father Zossima's cell was an unexpected delight for me. I've read the book once before, but the humor in Fyodor's needling comment towards Peter Miusov had me laughing out loud.:lol: I loved how Fyodor played the "what me?" card and played upon Miusov's hurt feelings about how he wasn't a real part of the debate regarding the position of ecclesiastical courts.

On another note, the wiki entry mentioned that FD named the third son in the novel after his own who had unfortunately passed away. This son is said to have exhibited the traits that FD most valued in a person. Lacking from the entry would be the counseling of Father Zossima to a peasant woman whose three year old son died. Is history and the writing of Zossima's counsel to the peasant woman merely conicidental?, I think not:whistling:

Lastly, I couldn't help but think of F Karamazov and FD's own father. I don't want to be the one to bring out the psycho-interpretation of literature at every turn, but I would be remiss if I didn't. This article highlights why Freud believed Dostoyevsky had a gambling problem. You must read it, you will chuckle as I did, honestly. With that being said, something is there in regards to unconscious psychological motives when you consider that FD's father was killed by his own serfs.

You know, I was just thinking the other day that it might be time to re-read Karamazov... hmmm... do we have a book lined up for July, or is this one going to go on for a while?

I want to be involved with the discussion on this one, but I have just started it and it may take me a month to finish. I must earn a living, you know. ;)

Anyway, I hope we are given two months to discuss this one.

Ok, so The Brothers Karamazov will be June and July's BOTM. Hope this way everyone who wants to can participate in the discussion.

Thanks for the link SFG.

I read it (I think - or part of it)...the father (loose conduct fellow) is murdered and sons seek his inheritance via a moderator (chief monk dude). Not sure about the rest. The theme is good (god) vs evil (devil)?

What a co-incidence ? I started reading this about a week back, bbut was hampered due to various happenings. Just finished Book 1. Hope this will be extended by at least a few more weeks.

still read only 300 pages of volume 1 ( referring to the progress publication), and just starting to appreciate the richness of characters - the three lechers - the father, Dimitri & the tortured Ivan (Alyosha being the white sheep, in a family of black sheep).

On another note, the wiki entry mentioned that FD named the third son in the novel after his own who had unfortunately passed away.

of epilepsy and he felt guilty because he was epileptic also,if I am not mistaken.

This book is not getting the attention it should from me.It delves into alot of subjects that are worth pondering and discussing.The names are mixing me up,I think I will restart from the begining.

I've read Brothers Karamzov along with a few of his other books, ill try and read up on it and make a few points. Its a mammoth book in theme and text...

I posted a comment about Dostoevsky on my blog a while back, I don't have enough comments to link but the page is my homepage Notes from the Vomitorium

Be nice to have a good meaty discussion on Bros K.

viv

EDIT - next book is Lermentov's a hero of our time....... guess ill go and find that thread.

Given the small amount of commentaries here, I'm assuming most people still haven't finished it yet. I propose that we prolong it to August so people can take their time reading and discussing it. Plus that gives us more time to plan September BOTM. What do you guys think?

you probably don't want to hear this but after I put the book down there were a few weeks where I couldn't say anything but wow. Then the gravity of ideas I was slowly digesting seeped into my consciousness/comprehension....

Given the small amount of commentaries here, I'm assuming most people still haven't finished it yet. I propose that we prolong it to August so people can take their time reading and discussing it. Plus that gives us more time to plan September BOTM. What do you guys think?

I am with ya!

1985viv I would love to hear what you have to say about it.:)

Ok people, The Brothers Karamazov is our first Summer BOTM. Which means it'll be June/July/August BOTM. I'll be posting a thread soon to start choosing September BOTM.

Id like to join in on the september BOTM.

I cant really say anything about Brothers Karamazov in general terms, its just too big to know where to start, but once people start discussing specific characters and there traits and contextual philosophical/theological positions thats when I think the best discussions happen and really explorative dialogues open up.... yknow.

I got the book but I just can't muster the courage to start reading it... :sad:

Landslide, are we going to choose September's BOTM from the leftover books from the last poll?

I haven't made much progress, too busy reading other stuff.:whistling:

Going back to the conversation between Peter Miusov and Father Zossima, it is very common to attribute the phrase if there is no God, then everything is permitted." Other sites, claim that no such comment was made in The Brothers Karamazov. the folks at the "infidels" site have made two mistakes in their analysis. They need to read the book, or at least have someone read it to them. First, the attributed comment was made. Witness;

If it were not for the Church of Christ there would be nothing to restrain the criminal from evil-doing, no punishment

The second error was to attribute the quote to Ivan Karamazov, when in fact, the comment was made by Father Zossima to Peter Muisov. Just another tangent. . .

Off now to read part the rest....hopefully.

Back