• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Supersize Me

Freya

Anyone seen it? Any thoughts? Any indignant fast food employees out there who wish to defend their industry?

Out of all the people I know who've worked in fast food restaurants over the years only one of them has ever defended the quality of the food. And she doesn't count anyway as she was working her way up the ladder to management.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think 16 year olds are generally responsible enough to be trusted with cooking food for strangers. I fear those places.

Martin said:
What's there to defend - it's unhealthy, we all know that.

Cheers

If we all knew that then surely there wouldn't be people attempting to sue McDonalds for making them fat :eek:

I haven't seen the movie, but I thoroughly approve and look forward to seeing it.

Further, I have adopted the following usage:

Spurlocking: verb, to overdo something to a ridiculous degree just to see what will happen.

I think the experiment had some really interesting outcomes, particularly his development of awful body odor and bad breath and his bouts of depression, all of which went away when his girlfriend "fixed" him with a healthy diet afterwards.

Another funny, insightful thing is that this movies was interpreted by lots of people in America as a morality play (evil overindulgence will lead to trouble), which is just Americans applying their Puritanical hangover to all eating and drinking practices, as usual. In fact, it's just a silly personal experiment, anyone could have predicted the outcome, but there is something of the peculiar American fantasy of eating as much crap as you want for as long as you want. (Truly, how many other people in the world think like that?)

I love McDonald's response. They took "supersize" out of their vocabulary (power of words!!) and said, Of course you're not supposed to eat garbagy fast food three meals a day!! It's supposed to be an occasional "treat." Now that was funny.

(Confession: last time I ate McDonald's food was 1985. It was a winter morning on John St., downtown NY, I wore purple suede heels and carried a nonfolding umbrella, it was an Egg McMuffin, coffee, action like greased lightning. In general, I'm no fanatic, but I object to that company and their products in a hundred ways. They are a blight.)

Oh come on. Object? Really? Then I suppose you object against tobacco-companies, car-manufacturors, cookie-companies, lighter fluid, cutlery-manufacturers, alcohol, etc, etc, etc...

It's a hamburger. Eat it and enjoy it. Eat it all the time and get fat. Everybody knows this, especially the people who are sueing McD because they're getting fat.

Guns don't kill people, people do. Same goes for McD.

Cheers

Martin said:
It's a hamburger. Eat it and enjoy it. Eat it all the time and get fat. Everybody knows this, especially the people who are sueing McD because they're getting fat.

When's Supersize Martin coming out?

Not ever.

I eat at these places, occasionally -heck, like I said before, I love the Chicken Burger at BK- but I know that is is fat and unhealthy, so I make a point out of it not to eat there too often.

They're not Satanic companies, they're hamburger-joints, for cryin' out loud.

Cheers

For about the same price as a BK meal I managed to buy my lunch which is healthier than both McDonalds and BK put together:

• Two wholemeal pitta breads
  • 1 bag of iceberg lettuce
  • 1 pack of sliced chicken breast
  • 1 small tub of low fat natural yoghurt

Instructions:

1. Open pitta bread
  2. Put lettuce in pitta bread
  3. Put chicken slices on lettice in pitta bread
  4. Put some more lettuce on top of the chicken
  5. Take two spoonfuls of yoghurt and drizzle over the lettuce and chicken
  6. Eat

That's convenient. About 240-250 calories, next to no fat, and delicious.

:)

Often heard quote:

"Oh my god, who would've guessed? You die if you smoke all day every day!!"

Cheers

Martin said:
Not ever.

I eat at these places, occasionally -heck, like I said before, I love the Chicken Burger at BK- but I know that is is fat and unhealthy, so I make a point out of it not to eat there too often.

They're not Satanic companies, they're hamburger-joints, for cryin' out loud.

Cheers

Martin, I don't object to their food.I like bad food sometimes. I have no issue with Burger King. Anyone should be able to eat what they want. Health has nothing to do with it.

I object to McDonald's--their business practices. I object to their architecture, their sponsorship of certain school programs, their advertising, their employment practices, the way they buy local planning boards through "charitable" donations, their invasive grow-or-die corporate philosophy, their marketing strategy, their corporate secrecy, their infection of the US image in the world, their manipulation of markets, their pollution, essentially I object to their presence in the world as a corporation.

I live on a country road five miles from the nearest store and twenty miles from the nearest McDonalds, but the only garbage I ever find on my road is McDonald's gargage, which is routinely thrown from the windows of cars by pigs eating it while they drive.

There are coffee shops, donut shops, delis, etc. all closer to my house, but I never see garbage from these places in the road. It's a true and strange phenomenon that speaks louder than anything else they have to say about themselves. Once you notice this, you see it everywhere. I have no explanation, only observation.

I have lived in two towns where they've bought access to schools through donations to sports and bribed planning boards in order to build what they wanted.

They are a pox.

So for you Martin, it's all about personal responsibilty?

I think that, yes we do need to take reponsibilty for our own actions - very much so infact. If I were in charge of the world, I'd merrily refuse to give people medical attention if they'd got in that state through their own repeated stupidity - someone who's been diagnosed with emphysema, yet continues to smoke, doesn't deserve to be treated. I feel the same way about people who get chronically obese - nobody forced them to keep on shoving food down their mouth.

However, the world isn't as black and white as that, so I've come round to thinking that these overweight people need some nudging in the right direction. So I quite approve of the idea of Supersize Me, if it makes a few more people realise what harm they're doing to themselves.

Novella:

You are obviously much better informed into McDonalds than I am, and I want to keep it that way. There are too many things to worry about, so I'm not adding McD to the list.

They sell hamburgers, which are not even that good. 's All.

Freya:

Yes, it is all about responsibility. Fifty years ago you could claim that you didn't know that smoking caused cancer, but not anymore. Period.

And I never said the film (documentary) was bad - I'd love to see it.

Cheers

Back