• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Symbolic Boots

Sitaram

kickbox
All Quite on the Western Front supposedly employs a pair of boots as a kind of symbol or device to dramatize the cheapness of human life in war. As each owner of this particular pair of boots is killed in battle, people struggle over who shall wear them next. The boots become more important than their various owners, and last longer.

Why does human nature so preoccupy itself with symbols?

Here is an excerpt from interesting article I found today in

http://www.aldaily.com

from Scientific American, Mindful of Symbols

http://www.sciam.com/print_version.cfm?articleID=000ACE3F-007E-12DC-807E83414B7F0000

What most distinguishes humans from other creatures is our ability to create and manipulate a wide variety of symbolic representations. This capacity enables us to transmit information from one generation to another, making culture possible, and to learn vast amounts without having direct experience--we all know about dinosaurs despite never having met one. Because of the fundamental role of symbolization in almost everything we do, perhaps no aspect of human development is more important than becoming symbol-minded. What could be more fascinating, I concluded, than finding out how young children begin to use and understand symbolic objects and how they come to master some of the symbolic items ubiquitous in modern life. As a result of that fortuitous model-room experiment, I shifted my focus from memory to symbolic thinking.

Pictures Come to Life
The first type of symbolic object infants and young children master is pictures. No symbols seem simpler to adults, but my colleagues and I have discovered that infants initially find pictures perplexing. The problem stems from the duality inherent in all symbolic objects: they are real in and of themselves and, at the same time, representations of something else. To understand them, the viewer must achieve dual representation: he or she must mentally represent the object as well as the relation between it and what it stands for.

A few years ago I became intrigued by anecdotes suggesting that infants do not appreciate the dual nature of pictures. Every now and then, I would hear of a baby who tried to pick up a depicted apple or to fit a foot into a photograph of a shoe. My colleagues--David H. Uttal of Northwestern University, Sophia L. Pierroutsakos of St. Louis Community College and Karl S. Rosengren of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign--and I decided to investigate even though we assumed such behaviors would be rare and therefore difficult to study. Fortunately, we were wrong.

Sitaram,

Speaking for myself, it would be nice if you could post something pithy and direct, rather than a tutorial. I feel like I have to do a lot of homework on your threads.

Sitaram said:
All Quite on the Western Front supposedly employs a pair of boots as a kind of symbol or device to dramatize the cheapness of human life in war. As each owner of this particular pair of boots is killed in battle, people struggle over who shall wear them next. The boots become more important than their various owners, and last longer.

I admit I don't remember this theme in the book, though it was one of those books I was forced to read early in school, and I was only paying so much attention. Nevertheless, your comment reminds me that boots have an important role in Slaughterhouse Five. You might want to look into it.

By the way, I found Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves to be effective as a non-fiction version of All Quiet.

Also by the way, I disagree that all symbolic objects have a duality of being both real and representational. Some symbols are mythical objects to begin with, representing something even more abstract.

P.S. Even with my reply to your post, I agree with Novella.

Sitaram, I'll echo what the other two have said.

I hope you take this as a constructive criticism. It's obvious that you're passionate about books, literature and ideas. You post interesting topics, but it's a bit daunting to get through all the links and quotes. It's like you've already decided where the discussion should go before anyone's had a chance to respond. Some of your threads read like a lecture rather than an invitation for discussion.

Perhaps you'd get more response to your threads if they were a tad less clinical and more conversational?

ell

Ell said:
Sitaram, I'll echo what the other two have said.

I hope you take this as a constructive criticism. It's obvious that you're passionate about books, literature and ideas. You post interesting topics, but it's a bit daunting to get through all the links and quotes. It's like you've already decided where the discussion should go before anyone's had a chance to respond. Some of your threads read like a lecture rather than an invitation for discussion.

Perhaps you'd get more response to your threads if they were a tad less clinical and more conversational?

ell

My apologies to the forum. I certainly respect the forum rules of any forum. I do enjoy reading the many interesting posts which are here and I value the privilege of aspect of private messaging those few who happen to share my interests. I give you my word that I shall make no further posts of this nature. I am only a guest here. But I shall enjoy reading the interesting comments of others. And I may continue to write in private regarding the subjects which interest me. It is not necessary for me to post publically to a forum in order to be stimulated by the questions which the reading of posts raises in my mind.

I realize that there are only a very small handful of people on the internet who enjoy my style of writing, or who take interest in the things which interest me. I shall look forward to meeting a few of them in private correspondence from time to time.

Thank you for your tolerance in accepting someone who is different.

I suppose, down the road, you might want to have a sub forum which is essays only, for people who write as I do. Such essays will get into the search engines and attract a certain number of members.

Sitaram said:
My apologies to the forum. I certainly respect the forum rules of any forum. I do enjoy reading the many interesting posts which are here and I value the privilege of aspect of private messaging those few who happen to share my interests. I give you my word that I shall make no further posts of this nature. I am only a guest here. But I shall enjoy reading the interesting comments of others. And I may continue to write in private regarding the subjects which interest me. It is not necessary for me to post publically to a forum in order to be stimulated by the questions which the reading of post raise in my mind.
Sitaram, my comments about your posts has nothing to do with forum rules. I was only suggesting that the way in which you present your new threads makes it difficult for some to enter into a dialogue with you. You are not a guest, but a member of TBF.

I was not suggesting that you stop posting! Please post away in whatever way you see fit. I was only expressing my own opinion.

ell

Sitaram said:
I realize that there are only a very small handful of people on the internet who enjoy my style of writing, or who take interest in the things which interest me.
I suppose, down the road, you might want to have a sub forum which is essays only, for people who write as I do. Such essays will get into the search engines and attract a certain number of members.

Sit,

I only wish that your posts were your writing, and that alone. Instead they are quoting other sources and linking to sources that require a time commitment beyond what I can do here.

My point is that if you have an opinion or view to share, it's most welcome. Please, let the discourse begin on those terms, and if the interest arises, then, perhaps, provide a link to another source. Your views are valuable; the views of those you wish to endorse, quote, disagree with, etc., are beyond the scope of my immediate interest.

Back