• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

TBF Moderation

Do you feel the choices of the moderating team are fair?

• Yes

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lies

I think Zolipara asked a pertinent question in the save bobby thread. Since we managed to stay civil in the tell me this thread, I was hoping this wouldn't be any different.

Zolipara said:
Yet i dont think i have been a member of a forum where the consistency of moderation is questioned so often as here. [...] Ever since i joined there has been people questioning the way the forums are moderated. I dont know all the history since i havent been a member that long, but it seems some people get away easier than others.
Another member (I don't remember who it was) said recently that we seemed to be having the same conversation every few months and I agree. We do seem to be talking about the best ways to run the Book Forum a lot, so when Wabbit says

Wabbit said:
I think the moderation is fair here. I will say that 95 percent of the board agrees with that point.
I can't help but wonder if that really is true.

I have to admit that I sometimes do think the moderation is unfair, though I don't usually say something about it. (I'm not sure if this is because the moderation really is unfair or because it's so unclear, since there's not much communication between the moderating team and the members.) So maybe there are other members that do feel as if there's something wrong at times?

I'm not trying to create a rebellion here or anything, cause I think quite a few moderators do a brilliant job, but I wonder how the other, not so outspoken members feel about this.

I certainly find it to be unfair. Taking the recent case in the banning of bobbyburns for repeatedly calling people fuckers, fucktards, etc. it took many insults before he was issued with a warning. I say one insult and I'm served up with a PM from Wabbit saying I've been given a warning. That's inconsistent.

When RaVeN threatened me via PM I sent my complaint to all moderators and was told by two that it would be looked into. I've still not received any notice of a resolution.

But honestly, what can they do about PM's? There's no way of checking.

And I counted three insults.

but I wonder how the other, not so outspoken members feel about this.

By this standard, the thread still has zero posts.

Martin said:
But honestly, what can they do about PM's? There's no way of checking.

I sent the PM. If it was unbelieved it's still possible to go into the database on the server and retrieve it. So, there is a way of checking.

And I counted three insults.

In one post. Call it an umbrella insult.

Maybe umbrella insults weigh heavier.

Stewart said:
I sent the PM. If it was unbelieved it's still possible to go into the database on the server and retrieve it. So, there is a way of checking.
Wasn't aware of this. But then, when's the last time you saw RaVeN?

Not since I reported the PM. :D

And I thought he was going to, as he said, make life hell for me on this forum by reacting to my every post.

Oh that - yeah, we discussed that. I took over from him.

Maybe his absence led to him not getting a warning (if he didn't - there's no way of knowing).

So, what are ways to make the moderating on here more fair (if it is, indeed, unfair)? What could be some solutions?

SFG75 said:
but I wonder how the other, not so outspoken members feel about this.

By this standard, the thread still has zero posts.

This is a good point. I was deliberately staying out of this thread in order to ensure that no one could point a finger and claim that it is the further work of the nefarious Irene Wilde "gang", but I have a suggestion:

Lies, could you possibly ask this question in the form of a poll? It's a little more anonymous, which might give courage to the less outspoken among the membership.

Like I said, just a suggestion.

Martin said:
Oh that - yeah, we discussed that. I took over from him.

Excuse me?

Maybe his absence led to him not getting a warning (if he didn't - there's no way of knowing).

Then that's inconsistent.

what are ways to make the moderating on here more fair (if it is, indeed, unfair)? What could be some solutions?

Spend more time using the moderators' powers to organise the forum so that ll threads on specific books and/or authors are merged to reduce clutter and retreading the same ground. Spend less time talking in a hidden forum. If a complaint is received about a member then talk to them and don't just wander off on power trips. Stop Wabbit pretending he's on some sort of plain of power when he talks about moderation issues.

I've only been around a few months and so far I haven't seen the moderation here to be unfair, incosistant sometimes, mysterious often but not really unfair. The members that have been banned seem to have left a trail of problems through the threads and those are the post that weren't edited so I can imagine they knew it was coming. Maybe not when because it seems some things do slide for awhile and then one day it's caught and that person is gone. I think it would be helpful if for no other reason than closure, that there be a post to announce future bannings, but as for warnings that is between the mods and members the member can post or not post about it as they choose.

I do see the need for some threads to be merged and certain board cleanup to be done. But if we keep all the mods busy watching endless debates or member rivalries how are they to get that done?

Irene Wilde said:
Lies, could you possibly ask this question in the form of a poll? It's a little more anonymous, which might give courage to the less outspoken among the membership.
I thought about doing that at first, but then I figured I wanted people to reply instead of just vote. I'll see if I can still add a poll though.

lies said:
I thought about doing that at first, but then I figured I wanted people to reply instead of just vote. I'll see if I can still add a poll though.

I suspect that the poll will be helpful, just as it was in the "troll" thread. Once people feel the strength of numbers behind their opinion, they are sometimes more willing to speak up.

Martin said:
Unfair in which way(s)?
Quite a few inconsistencies and sometimes post by moderators that really were out of line.

Irene Wilde said:
I suspect that the poll will be helpful, just as it was in the "troll" thread. Once people feel the strength of numbers behind their opinion, they are sometimes more willing to speak up.
I can't add a poll to this thread (maybe a moderator could?), and I don't know if I should create a new thread. Or maybe I can create a new thread and ask a moderator to merge the two.

I reported the posts. Hopefully they'll disappear soon. I think that is the sort of thing everyone can agree is unacceptable. Wow! Common ground!

One of the problems with the moderation here is that right now it seems very much as if Wabbit is in charge. I do not trush Wabbit as a moderator and believe I even reported him once for behaviour that was not suited for a moderator. I didn't get a reply to that report and I just hoped it was because I'm an idiot at reporting posts and not because he is a moderator that I didn't get any response on that report.

I can understand that the moderator don't have huge amounts of time to moderate a forum and that it's of their own free will that they do it. I can even understand why it seems that some of them are hiding. There just seems to be different rules for different people. Get some more mods and make them more consistent in their rulings. I would like to see the active members of the forum nominate and chose the new moderators.

Perhaps this time instead of just setting down Rules of Play the problems will actually be looked at instead of trying to fix something that is clearly broken.

If one of the moderators could merge this thread with the original one, I'd be ever so grateful. (Sorry to be adding to your work load.)

Edit by Halo: Threads now merged.

hay82 said:
One of the problems with the moderation here is that right now it seems very much as if Wabbit is in charge. I do not trush Wabbit as a moderator and believe I even reported him once for behaviour that was not suited for a moderator. I didn't get a reply to that report and I just hoped it was because I'm an idiot at reporting posts and not because he is a moderator that I didn't get any response on that report.

Maybe he was posting as a member and not as a moderator when he made that post, if you remember that bullshit. ;)

I can understand that the moderator don't have huge amounts of time to moderate a forum and that it's of their own free will that they do it.

Wabbit said earlier that he had been "moderating the forum since one" which implies he seems to think it's not about just participating and fixing the occasional slip when someone makes a mess, posts spam, or someone complains. If he's so concerned about the time he spends "moderating" on the forum then perhaps he should step down so that someone less concerned with their time can get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back