• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ted Dekker

SevenWritez

So like, there's this guy, right? He like, writes stuff. So like, I read a few of his stuff, right? He like, is kind of good. So like, there's no thread of him here, right? He like, kind of deserves one.

Anyhow, he's dubbed a "Christian novelist," which doesn't make much sense to me since the novels I've read from him don't seem to be running around promoting the bible, but other than that, he is a hit-or-miss type writer.

If you haven't read anything from him, I'd recommend the Circle Trilogy (though the other world is too reminiscent of candyland for my tastes, but hey, still a fun read), starting with "Black," or two very fun reads known as "Thr3e," (he wanted to be cool and hip, hence the number 3), and "Showdown." I just finished making my way through his newest novel, Skin, and it made me want to kick a baby. There were no small children in sight at the time though, so I kicked my cat.

Just seeing if anyone here has read/heard of him, and to get any comments on his writing.

As for me, I'd say his style is ok but simple, and the story ideas usually carry things along nicely, though some times the endings tend to suck horrible (I'm looking at you, Skin...and Saint).

I read Thr3e not too long ago. I liked the story, even if the end was somewhat of a letdown. My main problem with the book, though, was the dialogue. I have no problem with Dekker not wanting to use profanity in any of his works, but the way the characters spoke and their choice of words was really bizarre. My "favorite" line from the book:

"Listen, you sick scab . . . you're only proving one thing. You're toilet water. You're a punk without the guts to face your adversary. Come on, baby! Come and get me!"

I had a good laugh over that one.

I have a problem with the dialogue as well, and sadly...Thr3e was probably the easiest to deal with (Skin will make you cry, if you read it). Or Black, their speaking isn't too bad. As for his endings, I've learned not to look forward to them, as it's usually the middle that pulls me along. And, his villains are usually the ones who are interesting. Red in Skin was a fun character to see through a third-narrative perspective, but the good-guy counterparts made me cringe.

Back