• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tell me about spin-off series

pink shadow

OK, so I've been wondering about an interesting book phenomenon: spin-off series. You know, the Star Wars books, Buffy books, Charmed books, Alias books, Dr Who books, etc etc. They apparently have a market since there are som many of them, but I've always failed to see their appeal. But I may be totally wrong, and I'm curious - do they have a stand-alone value or are they dependent on readers already hooked on the concept? Are they well written? Do they add anything to the original concept? Do they follow the storyline of the original concept or do they change events? Tell me about them! :)

I think that for the most part they are geared toward people already addicted to the TV shows they are based on. I once dated a guy who wouldn't read anything except Star Trek novels. I read a few to see if they were worth it and I thought they were crummy. The writing generally isn't fantastic, and the plotlines are cookie cutter generic. I don't think I would expect much more from books based on any TV show The WB puts out. I suppose reading something is better than nothing at all, but I wouldn't suggest these books to anyone serious enough about reading to frequent a book forum. Anyway, that's my opinion.

mehastings said:
I once dated a guy who wouldn't read anything except Star Trek novels. I suppose reading something is better than nothing at all, but I wouldn't suggest these books to anyone serious enough about reading to frequent a book forum. Anyway, that's my opinion.

Why aren't you dating that guy anymore? ;) :p

The way you describe them is my preconceived notion, but I wanted to see if there was something to them that I might have missed. I guess not ;).

BTW, congrats on your new baby! I'm guessing she will be steered away from Star Trek novels? ;)

I love the Star Wars books. I haven't read the books for anything else. But I met one of the SW book authors, and basically they're given an outline from Mr. Lucas saying what is to happen in the story. And they can add onto that outline and flesh it out or whatever. But you have to be invited to do it. There are some REALLY good SW books; I would reccommend Timothy Zahn. He's considered by most to be the best extended universe author in the Star Wars Genre, and his original character, Mara Jade, wound up marrying Luke Skywalker.

Sorry guys, I have to defend the Star Trek books. Many of them are no good, its true, but there are quite a few that have expanded the characters and I've enjoyed. But I am a fan of the original series. Awhile after the original went off the air, a book of short stories came out. The New Voyages, and later a sequel. Each of those stories concentrated on a particular character and brought emotional life to the characters than the tv series ever did.

I don't buy them any more, as they have gone off on too many tangents for my taste. But the original books that came out.....many were well worth reading, at least if one was a ST fan to begin with.....;) :)

Just my opinion. :)

pontalba said:
Sorry guys, I have to defend the Star Trek books...But the original books that came out.....many were well worth reading, at least if one was a ST fan to begin with.....;) :)

I can see where books like that certainly might be worth reading. The ones I read were the "off on a tangent ones". They were like Sweet Valley High books for Trekkies.

Back