• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tennis

M

member 737

Is anyone watching Roland Garros now? There is a thread on hockey, and as I don't watch hockey at all, but I do enjoy tennis. Watching, not playing. ;)
So, now, when last year winners Henin-Hardenne and Ferrero are out, who do you think may win?

Sorry, don't watch tennis. I didn't want your thread to go unreplied to, though. I do find them amazing to watch when I see tennis on tv, though...they always tune into tennis at one of the local restaurants, so I see it once in a while. I can't even play tennis slowly, I'd never be able to return one of their serves.

back in high school, our tennis courts for gym class were beside the armory, and we lost a lot of tennis balls over the fence. If we went to retrieve them, we set off an alarm and that made the army guys really mad. And they alway stuck me on the end court by the armory, and I always managed to shoot at least one ball per gym class over the fence, by accident.

I think tennis is a great sport Idun. Years ago it used to bother me that the crowd had to be quiet prior to a serve but I've gotten over that. I still can't stand golf for much the same reason but that's another story.

I don't get much of a chance to watch it though. I wish I did. It seems that every time it comes on is when I'm on my way out the door.

I have alot of respect for them though after making my first attempt at playing last year. I could serve it one time and the ball would go exactly where I wanted it to. I tried to repeat my actions the next time and the ball would veer off 20 feet in the other direction. :eek:

Who are the top players now? I know very few of them by name.

RaVeN

How dense of me not to add a PS to my previous post.

PS- HOCKY STILL RULES

There, I feel so much better now :D

RaVeN

VTChEwbecca said:
Sorry, don't watch tennis. I didn't want your thread to go unreplied to, though.
That's so sweet of you. :)
I do find them amazing to watch when I see tennis on tv
Believe me, it's much better when you watch it live.

RaVeN said:
I think tennis is a great sport Idun.
Undoubtedly it is.
Years ago it used to bother me that the crowd had to be quiet prior to a serve but I've gotten over that.
I don't like when viewers behave too loudly. It impedes players to concentrate. And it's not very polite.
I have alot of respect for them though after making my first attempt at playing last year. I could serve it one time and the ball would go exactly where I wanted it to. I tried to repeat my actions the next time and the ball would veer off 20 feet in the other direction. :eek:
I've never tried to play tennis myself. My friend did and she claims that rockets are awfully heavy. She had to hold a rocket in both her hands all the time.

Who are the top players now? I know very few of them by name.

They would be Roger Federer, Andy Roddick, Juan Carlos Ferrero, still Andre Agassi (all last year Grand Slam winners), Guillermo Coria, Marat Safin, Carlos Moya, Lleyton Hewitt.
In ATP ranking now lead: Roger Federer, Carlos Moya, Guillermo Coria.

Ladies: Justine Henin-Hardenne, Kim Clijsters, Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Lindsay Davenport, Jennifer Capriati, Amelie Mauresmo, Jelena Dementieva, Anastasia Myskina.

Thanks for the list of players Idun. As I suspected, I only knew about half of their names.

By the way, I think the English word you meant to use is racket.

Idun said:
She had to hold a rocket in both her hands all the time.

If I had to hold my rocket in both hands all the time, it would more than likely blast off. :D

Tennis anyone? :p

RaVeN

Idun said:
They would be Roger Federer, Andy Roddick, Juan Carlos Ferrero, still Andre Agassi (all last year Grand Slam winners), Guillermo Coria, Marat Safin, Carlos Moya, Lleyton Hewitt.
Several years ago, I had the opportunity to meet Andre Agassi. Kinda cool. I'm not much into sports in general, but I do enjoy watching the occassional tennis match, and even way back then, I knew what an honor it was to be meeting Andre. :)

{Tigress} said:
Several years ago, I had the opportunity to meet Andre Agassi. Kinda cool.
What do you mean by meeting? Did you see him playing, or maybe you had an opportunity to talk to him?

Idun said:
What do you mean by meeting? Did you see him playing, or maybe you had an opportunity to talk to him?
Both actually. He was here in Atlanta at some match or tourny (I'm trying to find out the name of it and when I do I'll fill ya in LOL), and there was some sort of reception or something associated with it. My father was then working for Texaco who was a major sponsor of the event, and Dad had actually helped organize it. Anyway, Dad invited me to this "reception" thing, and Andre was there.

Sorry it's all so vague, it was over 10 years ago (I want to say '91 or maybe '92) and all but the details of meeting him are fuzzy in my mind. I was in my early 20's, and all I could think about was how sexy he looked with that long hair, so you can imagine I was a bit flustered at having somehow drawn his attention. (And yes, I was sorely disappointed when he shaved his head!!).

Our "meeting" went something like this... I was walking around by myself and this good looking man stopped me and asked me if I knew where the restrooms were. I told him where they were and he thanked me, took a couple of steps and then I swear kind of chuckled to himself and turned back to face me. He said, "You don't know who I am, do you?" I admitted I didn't and he held out his hand for a handshake and asked me for my name. I told him and he shook my hand and said, "I'm Andre." and with that he turned and left.

It wasn't until I was sitting watching the match that I realized that he was THE Andre everyone had been talking about all day!! :eek:

{Tigress} said:
It wasn't until I was sitting watching the match that I realized that he was THE Andre everyone had been talking about all day!! :eek:
LOL!

I envy you SO much...

I also know a not-knowing-the-player story, though it is not so funny as yours. Last year I went with my daddy to see Carlos Moya's match - daddy went mostly to accompany me, as he prefers soccer. He sat down and said loudly - "So, dear, which one is this Moya"? It was great to see surrounding people's reactions! They were so confused! Some of them even turned around to see who said that!

Idun said:
LOL!

I envy you SO much...

I also know a not-knowing-the-player story, though it is not so funny as yours. Last year I went with my daddy to see Carlos Moya's match - daddy went mostly to accompany me, as he prefers soccer. He sat down and said loudly - "So, dear, which one is this Moya"? It was great to see surrounding people's reactions! They were so confused! Some of them even turned around to see who said that!
Oh how funny!!

Idun said:
Is anyone watching Roland Garros now? There is a thread on hockey, and as I don't watch hockey at all, but I do enjoy tennis. Watching, not playing. ;)
So, now, when last year winners Henin-Hardenne and Ferrero are out, who do you think may win?

I LOVE TO WATCH TABLE-TENNIS! well, there is a "tennis " there :p

PS: Ingrid Burgman is not my fav actress, but I do like her play in the CAsbranca. She is a great actress though. :)

What does Ingrid do in a TENNiS thread?

Behave, watercrystal!;)

I don't like watching table tennis. Players make weird moves...It puts me off.

Back