• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990–2001

Crystal

kickbox
t’s not just the books under fire now that worry me. It is the books that will never be written. The books that will never be read. And all due to the fear of censorship. As always, young readers will be the real losers.”

— Judy Blume

100 books

Anyone has already posted??

if so, please delete it. Thanks.

watercrystal said:
t’s not just the books under fire now that worry me. It is the books that will never be written. The books that will never be read. And all due to the fear of censorship. As always, young readers will be the real losers.”

— Judy Blume

Well, I've remembered lots of text from most of the first seven, so I'll personally preserve the good stuff for posterity. If anyone wants to know, just ask for Blaise at the back door. Cheers mate, you're a corker.

Well any religious nut can challenge books, but it takes a bit more to actually ban them. There are probably differences from country to country, but i dont think my country has banned any books since the 50's or so. And as far as i know there are currently no books banned in my country at all. The books originally banned in the 50's have been published again years ago. While there always are some religious nut trying to ban Harry Potter because of the dangerous spells in it, they are usually given media attention only for the entertainment value. The government does not take their complaints seriously.

It could be interesting to hear if anyone here know of books that are banned in their country.

What exactly does "challenged" mean? Is it efforts to remove them from stores and libraries?

It always surprises me to see one of my favourite youth novels "The Chocolate War" on the top of these lists. It's hardly a happy novel but I doubt that it promotes mob mentality.

Wolhay said:
What exactly does "challenged" mean?

Challenged, in this context, means that people have spoken out against the texts whether they be for radical protests - typically political, sexual, orreligious.

They are the texts radical people and groups would wish censored for their own reasons.

Zolipara said:
Well any religious nut can challenge books, but it takes a bit more to actually ban them. There are probably differences from country to country, but i dont think my country has banned any books since the 50's or so. And as far as i know there are currently no books banned in my country at all. The books originally banned in the 50's have been published again years ago. While there always are some religious nut trying to ban Harry Potter because of the dangerous spells in it, they are usually given media attention only for the entertainment value. The government does not take their complaints seriously.

It could be interesting to hear if anyone here know of books that are banned in their country.

Zolipara:

Dion't know which country you are from. But thought it could be one of those in Europe.

Did not know why, but seemed to me that people who held strong faith in religions can be so stuuu**dly stubborn to accept something that doesn't stroke their nero.

Wolhay said:
What exactly does "challenged" mean? Is it efforts to remove them from stores and libraries?

It always surprises me to see one of my favourite youth novels "The Chocolate War" on the top of these lists. It's hardly a happy novel but I doubt that it promotes mob mentality.

Wolhay:

I did not understand at all why "The chocolate War" got banned. Only from the plot, I couldnot fathom any reason though. *faints* anyway.

read the plot lastnight. I thought it was something like "The Deathpoets Society'? Here the link, if someone might be interested.

The chocolate War

I got the mixed feeling :( after I came to read the last para, which went like this:

Jerry has a broken jaw and possibly some internal injuries. As he is waiting for the ambulance he tells his only friend, The Goober, not to disturb the universe—that it is not worth it. The book ends as Archie displays no remorse for the past, and Jerry no hope for the future

Back