• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Atlantic: How to land your kid in therapy

SFG75

A compelling article.

As I tried to make sense of this, something surprising began happening: I started getting more patients like her. Sitting on my couch were other adults in their 20s or early 30s who reported that they, too, suffered from depression and anxiety, had difficulty choosing or committing to a satisfying career path, struggled with relationships, and just generally felt a sense of emptiness or lack of purpose—yet they had little to quibble with about Mom or Dad.

Instead, these patients talked about how much they “adored” their parents. Many called their parents their “best friends in the whole world,” and they’d say things like “My parents are always there for me.” Sometimes these same parents would even be funding their psychotherapy (not to mention their rent and car insurance), which left my patients feeling both guilty and utterly confused. After all, their biggest complaint was that they had nothing to complain about!

So to my fellow BAR members-how does this make you feel?:)

I felt fine before I read that article and watched the video. Somewhere along the way I realized that reading articles like that and watching those types of videos makes me feel very sad.... deep down inside...
Just kidding. I think that is some crazy jacked-up nonsense.

It's interesting. How a good thing can turn bad.

But i believe it's more than possible.

You guys ever hear of the story about the man who helped the struggling butterfly out of its cacooon?

It never learned to fly.

Back