• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

the best fantasy books

Can you be a little more specific? Likes? Dislikes? Series or one shot?

I like vampires and stuff like that books,like the twilight books I loved that series,and Cassandra Clare,she writes books about fantasy also,but hers are different than the twilight series.

Try Richelle Mead or L.J. Smith. Both authors also write vampire romance for young adults. I'd also suggest Charlaine Harris or Kim Harrison if you don't want to stick to YA fiction. And if you're looking for a non-romantic novel, I highly recommend you pick up Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat.

I have not read that many fantasy books, but I do enjoy the Inheritance cycle by Christopher Paolini. I began reading the series a little over two years ago, if I recall correctly. I have read it through nearly twice, and will begin rereading it again right after. I enjoy it so much; the author has done an outstanding job for his first few books.
The first novel, Eragon, is about a meager farmer boy, Eragon, who stumbles upon a polished blue stone during a hunting trip. What he believes to be a valuable discovery, actually brings a dragon hatchling. Eragon soon realizes he has engaged upon a legacy nearly as old as the Empire itself.
Overnight he is thrust into a perilous new world of destiny, magic, and power. With only an ancient sword and the advice of an old storyteller for guidance, Eragon and his young dragon must traverse the dangerous terrain and overcome dark enemies of an Empire ruled by a king whose onslaught knows no bounds.

The best fantasy books I've ever read are by David Eddings. The characterisation is deep and the characters literally leap off of the page. They are rich and full and truly lifelike. Each book is fairly short between two hundred and three hundred pages. And while it is very easy to read, it is by no means simple. David Eddings is a master of the genre.

Folks, regardless of what you like, please do yourself a favour and read Guy Gavriel Kay. And I'm talking to those who wouldn't normally sully themselves with genre too. I mean, if Cormac McCarthy can get away with The Road, then you owe it to yourself to check out some great storytelling from GGK.

If you're looking for a place to start, try his latest, called Under Heaven.

I think people that dis Harry Potter are funny. The books are clearly awesome, and have been one of the biggest sensations in reading in the last century.

I think a lot of people just like to pretend they don't like Harry Potter because they want to seem different or something. They are good for sure though.

There are a few writers in the field that I often like to refer to as "the masters" these are people that most people can agree on as the greats and to be considered "Well read" in a genre of books you need to have read these books, although most of the time these authors are no longer living. Fantasy has some "masters" including authors such as JR Rowling, JRR Tolkin, CS Lewis (Chronicles of Narnia) and Lewis Carol (Alice in Wonderland). Most often the "masters" have passed away however Rowling is quite alive. I like to make a division between the old masters and the new masters, to be a member of the new masters you have to be living and some of the new masters include, of course JR Rowling, Gregory RR Martin and probably Raymond Fiest.

I wouldn't necessarily say J.K. is the master, either.

Try Ursula K. Le Guin. She has a fantasy series that goes back to the 60s but it's written well. I mean the woman is 82 years old and still writing. She must be doing something right.

Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series is fantastic. George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series is excellent as well (though I'm still only finishing up the second book). Also, if you don't mind a little more sensual vampire/werewolf series, try Laurel K. Hamilton's Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series.

I've only read A Game of Thrones& Jim Butcher Dresden Files series, and both are awesome. It's not like other fantasy novels, with the descriptions and whatnot. It's more like a medieval political thriller.

Same thing goes for The Dresden Files, except I like The Dresden Files more. Mystery meets fantasy in a modern day setting! Dresden's wisecracks are also awesome.

I am a big mystery/horror fan, and I haven't touched fantasy in 6 years(besides The Dresden Files and Song of Ice & Fire). I still need to read A Clash of Kings.

The best fantasy book ever is The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle.

You can buy copies from most popular high-street/strip-mall book retailers, from Amazon or Barnes & Noble (where eBook versions are available free in some cases).

Enjoy this delightful trip into fantasy detective-fiction-land.

Yours faithfully,

Guy.

Back