• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The books I'm reading for year 12...have you guys read them?

wilderness

I'm doing english and literature so I've got more books to read. I have 2 weeks to read all of these (which will be hard because I struggle reading assigned school books.)

The wife of Martin Guerre - Janet Lewis
Blueprints for a barbed-wire canoe - Wayne Macauley
Will you please be quiet, please? - Raymond Carver
The quiet American - Graham Greene
The great Gartsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
(film) Gataka
Sam Shepard: plays
And I forgot the name of the poetry collection.

Has anyone read or studied these novels? Do you have any reading tips for me?

Lani

ONLY TWO WEEKS????:eek: :eek: :eek: Why do you only have two weeks to read nine books?

For starters, get off the computer and stay away form the tv!! Lock yourself in a room and get going. I read two of them years ago in school. The great Gatsby isn't very long and moves fairly well, so maybe start that one first. Go from thinnest to thickest. That way if you run out of time, you will have more works read than if you did them randomly, or in some other order.

wilderness said:
I'm doing english and literature so I've got more books to read. I have 2 weeks to read all of these (which will be hard because I struggle reading assigned school books.)

Has anyone read or studied these novels? Do you have any reading tips for me?

Lani

I'll tell ya what I would do, Lani ( since this teacher is obviously not living in the real world anyway) :rolleyes: I can see at least three or four books that you could order from the library on tape. I'd listen to them while doing something else. ;)

Originally Posted by wilderness

Don't these people realize (or remember) that reading literature is supposed to be all about enjoyment? :( It's a wonder that anybody continues to read after they get out of school.

Are you sure the assignment wasn't to choose one or two from this list? OR that you actually have 2 MONTHS instead of 2 weeks??

Seems outrageous even for an avid reader..

abecedarian said:
Are you sure the assignment wasn't to choose one or two from this list? OR that you actually have 2 MONTHS instead of 2 weeks??

Seems outrageous even for an avid reader..

Don't you thnk this teacher is simply begging her/his students to cheat? :rolleyes:

At the moment we are on holidays and the reason she has only two weeks to read them is because the holidays end in two weeks. :D And she won't have to have them all read in two weeks, only one or two of them. So it's not quite as big a load as it may seem.

Lani, I have read The Great Gatsby, but never really liked it a lot and I studied Heart of Darkness at Uni. What electives/modules are you doing to be studying these books? I can't remember what they were included in as they are not the books that I'm doing.

wilderness said:
The wife of Martin Guerre - Janet Lewis
Blueprints for a barbed-wire canoe - Wayne Macauley
(film) Gataka
Sam Shepard: plays
And I forgot the name of the poetry collection.
In my high school english class we did Fitzgerald and I really didn't like it, so it wasn't one of the ones I chose to do for my exams. We also did Carver's Short Cuts for Literature. If you like his work it could be really great for either a Views and Values CAT or a creative CAT. But I don't think the school system works in quite the same way as I remember.

And I echo the others - why 2 weeks for them all?? The start of year syllabus will only consider one for each class, if English even goes into the books first. We did 'issues' before touching on the books. If you don't know which books are first, you could probably narrow it down by looking at the Board of Studies website and noting which proscribed texts are for which semester. I know that when I did Lit, there was one set of texts for CAT 1, and another set for CAT 2 and 3.

Hey

As already mentioned..the reason I have 2 weeks is cos I left it that late. I had 7 weeks to read them and I just kept procrastinating. I only need to read 4 at the moment. Just the first 2 we are studying and I will read the others that we study later in the year on other holidays...

so to the point...

anyone else read these books and can offer some encouragment?!?!?!?

Thanx for the replies so far :)

Lani

I read the Great Gatsby as a junior and HS and actually liked it. You'll be able to get through it easily - and don't forget cliff notes if you don't understand anything :)

Back