• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Discovery of Heaven

lies

Has anyone seen this movie (starring Stephen Fry ;))? I watched it a couple of years after I had read the book, but --like so many other book adaptations-- it wasn't nearly as good as the original. I thought it was a rather dull movie, when it could have been great.

I don't know why The Discovery is the only novel by Harry Mulisch I have read. I guess I was a bit scared by the volume of some of his novels. (and the fact that Mulisch himself is rather arrogant, lol)

No, I haven't seen the film, and I'm not planning on seeing it any time soon. I've read the book about a year and a half ago; I completely devoured it. I finished this 900-page novel in just under 4 days, and it still is one of my favourite books.

As I said, I'm not planning on seeing this film, simply because I haven't read, heard or seen one single good review, and I don't want to ruin the book. I want it to stay just the way it is now, a pleasant memory somewhere in the back of my mind.

And by the way, I have read two more of Mulisch's books, namely 'De Diamant' and 'Siegfried' (both in Dutch). The former is (in my humble opinion) a bit boring and quite pretentious, but the latter I can highly recommend. I won't give away anything, but read it and read it quick (or not; your loss :p)

Cheers, Martin :D

I didn't know there was a movie of this book. I've been meaning to read it for a while, but it's quite a tome and I've haven't had the guts to tackle it yet. Thanks for your encouragement, guys!
A friend of mine is begging me to read The Procedure, the latest Mulisch translation, which is smaller. Should I start with that?

Ed.

I really wouldn't know. The only Mulisch I've read is The Discovery of Heaven... I haven't had the guts to start a new book by him yet. I do have a book of short stories by him lying around here somewhere, so maybe I'll start that some day.

Back