• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Doors (1991)

Darren

The past couple of threads in the non-fiction area got be thinking about this film which I haven't seen in ages. I used to listen to a lot of The Door's music, and shortly after watching the film I read one of the biographies of Jim Morrison (No-one Gets Out Of Here Alive).

I must admit that I thought that the film tended to overly focus on Morrison's sex drugs and alcohol influence. After reading the biography there was a lot more to Morrison than this.

Anyone else seen the film?

Yeah, Stone's attempt to make a rock biopic some kind of spiritual odyssey was... pretentious at best.

I recall watching it in my first year at university - with all that that involves! - and thinking it was pure dead magic. But, unlike other films first watched under the same "conditions", it doens't stand up to contemporary viewings - or the sober light of day.

Denis Leary waxed comical about it after its release, citing what you pointed out as the lengthy focus on Morrison's addictions:

"We need a three hour movie about The Doors? I don't think so. I'll give you the three second version: I'm drunk, I'm nobody, I'm drunk, I'm famous, I'm drunk, I'm dead. Big fat dead guy in a bathtub - there's your movie."

Ever read any of Morrison's poetry? I've heard stories, but that's all.

Tobytook

I like the music. The movie was entertaining (though, indeed, exaggerated in some ways). The biography I read had its pros and cons. I've never been much of a poetry-girl, but his lyrics and poems didn't strike me as awful. I absolutely hated the way his grave was covered with flowers and people at Père-Lachaise.

Back