• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Empty Chair

Lovecraftian

I’m going to release a short story on Amazon here, soon – maybe even later tonight, depending how long the Mountain Dew lasts me.

It’s called “The Empty Chair”, as you may have guessed. It involves chess (my passion), but isn’t a chess story per se.

Anyhow, I just got the official cover back from a pro-designer and I’m really happy with it; the wheels are rolling on this!

Not really promoting the thing, just sharing my news. It seemed to fit here best. Maybe I’ll link to it once it goes live. It’s a decent little short story. :)

I'll be looking for it. Looks attractive, and chess is enough to catch my interest. Good luck. :flowers:

Thanks a ton! I didn't get a chance last night, but I'm going to look into this after work. I've been waiting forever on a cover. :)

My chess story is on Amazon! :)

So, after *much* hard work and tedious hours editing, my paranormal chess story, “The Empty Chair”, is finally available for Kindle download.

The price is $0.99.

This was the first story I wrote that I actually really, really liked and invested a lot into. It’s been tweaked so many times I can’t imagine.

Anyhow, here it is, if you want a spooky chess read. If you don’t have a Kindle, you can get the Kindle for PC free at Amazon. Happy reading and THANKS!

Amazon.com: The Empty Chair eBook: Derek Odom, Farah Evers: Kindle Store

The blurb:

An aging chess grandmaster isolates himself in a cabin to prepare for the biggest match of his life when spooky, supernatural forces intervene.

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_41w9bV4t31L._BO2_204_203_200_Pdbd9b35c93eda0b1949151139ae1db52.jpg

Hey thanks! I truly appreciate it. :) You don't have to be a chess fan, either; although chess is the main theme of the story, it's just more of a good tale with chess in it, haha. :D

got it. You can expect my scathing review, probably sometime this weekend.
:lol:

LOL! Go for it! Be honest, too; I'd rather know I'm putting out sub-par junk than have someone tell me it was good to be nice. :D

I loved it!

Excellent story, well told, with a wonderful and surprising ending.

A perfect example of a short story.

And the chess description was vivid and fascinating. Caught the flavor of the game very well with accurate chess moves.

More, more! :flowers:

:star5:

Peder -

Thank you, thank you, so much! I'm humbled. Truly, I cannot tell you how much that means to me!

I have another one in the works - not chess, it's about Death needing a hot rod built for him because people are dying too fast. It's creepy but not horror, same as this chess one.

I just got the cover art back for it and now the thing goes to the editor; it'll be out soon!

:)

Hey there lovecraftian, just finished the story and.....
I agree with Peder. It is a great little short story. It is obvious that you are not an amateur. The writing is very accomplished and professional from a grammatical/sentence structure context.
The story itself reminds me of short stories I used to read in sci-fi anthologies when I was a kid. In a good way. :)
My only critiques would be that Orren settles in to the whole, "i'm trapped in a deserted cabin with a ghost" deal a little too smoothly, but for the sake of the length of the story it pretty much has to be this way. It could stand a little more creepiness in my opinion, as that would contrast nicely with the cool ending.
Well done!

Thank you so much!

I totally hear ya with the creep-factor. I could have used a little more myself, actually, but it was actually written for a short story contest and I knew the judges didn’t go much for scary stuff. :D

I can’t say how much I appreciate the review. :)

Lovecraftian, I've merged both your threads into one. This way the information isn't scattered around...

Back