• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Fiftieth Gate

Billy

I am teaching this book, as a part of our senior advanced English course, first term, next year. I started it yesterday and so far I am totally confused. It is by a guy named Mark Raphael Baker. The book is being studied for a module called History and Memory.

After reading it for a bit last night, I found myself feeling incredibly dumb because it had managed to get me quite confused. I was left wondering how I was going to get the students interested and enjoying this book when I couldn't get into it myself. Fortunately, one of the other teachers at school has also read it and she informed me that it gets better and after a bit it is much easier to figure out who is speaking.

It appears that the book is about this man's parent's memories of what they went through, as Jews in a concentration camp, during WW2. I assume that we will be looking at how personal memories compare with historical fact.

Has anyone read this book, at all and if so, what is your opinion of it?

I've read it. I too found it confusing. There are much better books about surviving the Holocaust. Do you have to use that book?

Unfortunately, yes. The way we work out what we are doing means that we have to inlcude: poetry, shakespeare, novel, non-fiction (and a few other text types), and drama. Within these categories there are certain choices. After I chose the others, this was really all I was left with.

Bummer. There is a great story of a Holocaust survivor called Ellie. She was a young teenager during the war and tells her story of Auschwitz and may be more accessible for your students as she was a bit younger then the average writer (I have found that to be so in my reading).

Good luck with it!

Thanks, Geenh. We actually need other resources so I will suggest this one to them. Thanks again.

Fiftieth Gate

I am studying the book by Mark Raphael Baker for English and I found it really hard to follow on my first reading. However, I have read it a secind time and it is much easier to get the idea of which of his parents the story is focusing on for each chapter. On my second reading, I pencilled in 'mum' or 'dad' at the top of the first few chapters just so I could get my head around the story. From there, it is much easier to move on to the more abstract concepts of history and memory. Good luck!

Back