• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The first sentence in the book you're reading

SFG75

We had a thread like this awhile back, just thought a new one would be interesting to have around again to see what folks are reading and to chit-chat.

The event that came to be known as The Pulse began at 3:03 p.m., eastern standard time, on the afternoon of October 1st.
-Stephen King, Cell

what's the first sentence in your book?:)

Sing to me of the man, Muse, the man of twists and turns
driven time and again off course, once he had plundered
the hallowed heights of Troy.

Homer

"Right here and now, as an old friend used to say, we are in the fluid present, where clear-sightedness never guarantees perfect vision"

King & Straub, black house

The second book I'm reading:

"No one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy would have supposed her born to be an heroine."
Northanger Abbey (Jane Austen)

(The first one is German so I can't post the first sentence ;))

Terrible voting weather, remarked the presiding officer of polling station fourteen as he snapped shut his soaked umbrella and took off the raincoat that had proved of little use to him during the breathless forty-meter dash from the place where he had parked his car to the door through which, heart pounding, he had just appeared.

Seeing-Jose Saramago

"The army jeep, appearing in the distance, leaves the main road and cautiously turns into a track across the fields."

'The Suspended Step of the Stork'
Theo Angelopoulos
The Bridge of Europe

Two in a Bed: The Social System of Couple Bed Sharing, by Paul Rosenblatt, State University of New York Press, 2006.

Interesting, but true..I know a certain man who takes his half out of my half, for example:rolleyes: Good thing he's cute!

"Late in August, three crows took up residence in the chimney of the corner house on Hemlock Street". Seventh Heaven by Alice Hoffman

Set This House In Order by Matt Ruff

I just got that from the library last week, but I think it may go back before I get to it. I will order it again when I have more time. How is it? Have you read Fool on the Hill? I read that one ages ago and LOVED it.

I just got that from the library last week, but I think it may go back before I get to it. I will order it again when I have more time. How is it? Have you read Fool on the Hill? I read that one ages ago and LOVED it.

Nope, I've not read any of Ruff's other stuff, although I will if I like this one. I've heard good things about it. Just started it tonight after finishing another book, so I'm not far enough along to make a judgment yet.

Back