• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Hours & Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

Crystal

kickbox
hours.jpg

f-hours.jpg

Has any of you seen this movie? Would glad to know what do you think about it. I went to see this moive by myself, and did enjoyed it. And I wanted very much to get a DVD of it. Umm, there only 5 people, including me, seated in the cinema, cz it was Wednsday afternoon. When the film finished, I sat there with tears in my eyes for the death of Virginia Woolf. very sad.

Happened to remember this one, for it has been lingering on mind for pretty long time. Want to discuss it and looking forward to some response on it.

I may try to rent it this weekend, haven't had a chance to watch many "girl" movies lately (by which I mean movies without explosions.) I read Mrs. Dalloway and The Hours right after, and it was incredibly moving.

Have you ever read her book "A Room of Her Own?" It's not a novel, but an essay on the idea that women need their own space to be creative. I think that Woolf never found the happy balance between her work and her life.

Ashlea said:
Have you ever read her book "A Room of Her Own?" It's not a novel, but an essay on the idea that women need their own space to be creative. I think that Woolf never found the happy balance between her work and her life.

No, haven't read it. The movie bothered me because i could not shake off the sadness when I watched the end part, when she walked in to the water,and got her drowned. I felt so sad, burdened with the kinda feelling of speechless can-do-nothing-ness.

Thank for sharing with me Ashlea. :)

Best wishes, :)

Personally I didn't like the way Virginia Woolf was portrayed. In reality, despite her psychological problems, she was very posh, very high class, and very sociable. She would hardly be caught wandering through the streets in a frumpy housedress and weird hat, mumbling to herself.

Otherwise I really enjoyed it, especially Ed Harris's performance.

The book Ashlea mentioned is actually titled A Room of One's Own, although there is a book called A Room of Her Own by another author.

I'd recommend Woolf's The Years, which reminds me of One Hundred Years of Solitude in its detached depiction of a family over several generations.

Back