• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Internet Top 100 SF/Fantasy List

its a really nice thread, with some nice links, maybe should go and sugest to check the publishing houses webpages to check if they have info on new authors

:D :D :D

mr_michel... actually wanted to get feedback on The Internet Top 100 SF/Fantasy List, not feedback on the thread. :)

ds

Seems the list is heavily skewed towards fantasy rather than sci-fi.

Some I'd have put on the list: 2001, A Space Odyssey - Arthur C Clarke; Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury; Stranger In a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein; Lathe of Heaven - Ursula K LeGuin; Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson.

Armor (#16 on the list) is on my TBR list. I hear it's great. It was almost my next book but I decided to read another Stephen King. :)

What's the pepper-jack with this 'A Song of Ice and Fire' thing? I, sure as Moses, ain't never heard of it, but it's apparently rated higher than Lord Of The Bling-Blings...Is such a thing possible? Who amongst us wondering souls have read it-a-tit-tit-it?

Ranking by using diffused averages gives interesting results.
The site author states that "Anyone is eligible to vote" and "Although this is a list of the 'best' science fiction works, you are encouraged to vote for works that you don't like as well as those that you do".
That may include "prank" votes or votes from authors promoting their own titles; etc.
Overall this a good way of finding recommended reading material.

I've read George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series (as far as it's been published - 3 books out, with a possible further 3) and it is a stunning read. I personally enjoyed it far far more than Tolkien - it's gritty and realistic (as far as you can get reading fantasy). He's not afraid to kill off main characters to further the plot. I just loved these books and they come highly recommended from me.

Ell said:
Seems the list is heavily skewed towards fantasy rather than sci-fi.
Yes, and that's probably why I personally like it so much. :)

And magemanda, I agree with your assessment of Martin. I believe there are plenty of forum members here agree with you as well... :)

ds

magemanda said:
I've read George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series (as far as it's been published - 3 books out, with a possible further 3) and it is a stunning read. I personally enjoyed it far far more than Tolkien - it's gritty and realistic (as far as you can get reading fantasy). He's not afraid to kill off main characters to further the plot. I just loved these books and they come highly recommended from me.

Thank you, magemanda! :) this comment is really helpful for me, who is totally a stranger to fantascies and SF. (only knew harrypotter and Tolkien's LOTR. :eek: )

I was glad to see that "Magic's Pawn" made the list. It's probably my favorite Mercedes Lackey title. "Dune" was high, but I don't know if I would have placed "Ender's Game" above it. And "Flowers for Algernon" ahead of "1984"!? :eek:

Oh, and for interested fans, "Wizard of Earthsea" is about to be a mini-series on the Sci-Fi Channel. I think it's out in December or January.

Cathy
Only in fantasy can penguins fly!

I neeeeeed to know how I can get my hands on this mini-series without having to fly to the States. We don't have Sci-Fi Channel! :(

Cathy, if you do catch it, please do remember to post your thoughts here... :)

ds

direstraits said:
I neeeeeed to know how I can get my hands on this mini-series without having to fly to the States. We don't have Sci-Fi Channel! :(

Cathy, if you do catch it, please do remember to post your thoughts here... :)

ds

Will do! :)

Sorry, Stephen R. Donaldson is missing from the list. That cannot be.

Ditto, William Gibson?

No room for Dracula or Frankenstein? Jules Verne is also missing contributions.

Stranger in a Strange Land (not on list) vs Green Hills of Earth?

And "A & B Strugatski" lands three titles in the top fifteen? :p :rolleyes:

Who is Guy G. Kay and he has four books on this list?!! :mad:

Can't take it seriously ...

I found a lot of the authors on the list are epic story writers. And strange not to see China Mieville on the list :confused:

ADVICE ON GEORGE R.R.MARTIN NEEDED! PLEASE HELP!

I had never heard of this dude till I read that top 100...I was very surprised to see his book/s at the top of the list! I have loved LOTR since I was a kid, but it's one of the very few 'fantasy' genre books I've read...Would I still enjoy a Game of Thrones or is it for more 'serious' fantasy enthusiasts? I very nearly bought a copy of Game of Thrones, but I was put off by the incredibly tacky cover - it made me think it was simply another run-of-the-mill 'epic' adventure story...So any advice would be muchos appreciatedos...

As a side note, I'm not really a HUGE Stephen King fan, but I loved 'The Talisman' and 'Black House'...Would The Dark Tower series be of interest to me? What are your thoughts?

Thanks...

LOTR is pretty 'serious' fantasy, IMHO. :) The Game of Thrones is definitely not run-of-the-mill, so give it a try.

ds

p.s. : I really want to visit Taiwan - but my Mandarin sucks! :) But I'm visiting China soon anyway, so we'll see... :)

well, i read the game of thrones very recently- in fact, i've just finished it. it was slow sometimes, and it got kind of boring, because a lot of times, people were sitting around, doing nothing. however, the ending is what convinced me to finish the series- that and the fact that the story was good- i want to know what happens next

I'm curious about the series that ranks #5 on the list; The Wieddzman (Witcher) stories by Andrzej Sapkowski.

For a series of 8 books to be ranked so high and not be published in English is very disappointing.

RaVeN

Back