• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Machines are coming!

grimskunk

Can anyone recommend some books about large mechanized forces run by AI's that attempt to rid the universe of humans?

Preferably interplanetary in scope.. (ie., not just battles on earth like Matrix or Terminator.)

I just finished the Machine Crusade.. and it reminded me of similar short stories written many years ago. There was a genre name specifically for this type of story.. but I can't remember what that name was now.

Anyway.. if you have some books in mind, old or new, please let me know.

Thanks!

Isn't War of the Worlds about an alien invasion?

I'm looking for wars with purely artificial intelligent machines..

Actually, I just found the original series which inspires the book of short stories I'd read as a kid..

Beserker, by Fred Saberhagen
http://www.largeprintreviews.com/berserker.html
Summary: Berserker is the first book in Fred Saberhagen's popular Berserker series. This series focuses on man's endeavors to defeat a massive armada of doomsday ships released upon the universe by a long dead race. The Berserkers are huge, intelligent ships that have the capacity to obliterate a planet. Their mission is to destroy all life that they encounter, and they fulfill their mission with an unwavering dedication that is only obtainable from a machine. For eons the Berserkers have annihilated one civilization after another, and now they have come upon the worlds inhabited by humans.

*** But if anyone knows of any more books like the Berserker series, please let me know!

grimskunk said:
Their mission is to destroy all life that they encounter

Why is it only humans what want to go around space, acting like space-hippies, and make peace with alien races?

Well... the stories are all related, but each story is separate, meaning that characters rarely reappear from one book to the next. Keith Laumer started writing about the Bolos back in the 70's (maybe even the 60's) and several other authors have continued the storyline since his death. So the universe the stories are set in is generally the same even though each is work is a stand-alone one.

William H. Keith is probably the best author of the Bolo plotline since Laumer, I'd say. His own military experience keeps the storylines in a military vein, instead of devolving into all sorts of useless romantic/ego-stroking crap like the Sassinak series. The soldiers in his book actually act like soldiers, which, as a veteran, is important to me, at least. I'd recommend him alongside David Weber, David Drake, Larry Niven, and the other greats of the science-fiction-military genre.

Back