• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Modern Library

Book Bug

People once predicted that the internet (and e-readers) would be the end of paper print publication. While it has certainly effected it, I think it has also brought books to a larger audience.

Recently, I discovered Open Library, and have been regularly downloading *.pdf children's books for my two girls. This got me thinking about the modern library, and how libraries have had to adapt to stay modern and relevant. I think we have proven that libraries (and physical books) can stay relevant in the digital age, but:

1.) Where do we see library in the future? How will libraries continue to adapt?

2.) What are libraries doing to stay relevant and adapt to utilize technology in the digital age?

Will sneak in here first.. :)

1.) I think the library will continue to play a strong role in education, history, and preservation of historically significant books. Most modern libraries now have media centers, as well as digital classification systems for their collections.

2.) As is the case with Open Library, it is entirely digital, though connected to libraries across the United States to check out physical books. Some libraries are putting their collections online, or within a private network, for research purposes. Others continue to follow digital trends, and social media and internet-inspired exhibits sometimes find their way into the halls of the modern library.

What do you think? I think libraries can, and should always be trying to do more.

flying_book.jpg

Back