• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

... The musical

Wabbit

I had a rather odd thought today. Actually I have a lot of those, but this one was book related and so I share it here.

What book do you think would you like turned into a musical?! Of course we have Oliver Twist and War of the Worlds. I'm sure there are other examples.

I'm thinking Lord of the Rings as a musical. We could finally give those elf songs a chance to shine! *shudder*

My wife and sister-in-law wrote a musical based on "Silas Marner". Been lazy about shopping it around. They did enter a contest held by a production company in Chicago for first time writers a couple of years ago. Though it was a finalist, they passed over it.

I am not big on musicals, but I think the more humorous the more I would be interested in seeing it. That said, "Soul Music" by Terry Pratchett comes to mind.

Wabbit said:
I'm thinking Lord of the Rings as a musical. We could finally give those elf songs a chance to shine! *shudder*

I have tickets. I'll let you know what I think.

Published: Sunday, February 05, 2006
TORONTO (CP) - Despite a two-day delay to fine-tune the production and some first-night mistakes, theatregoers say the new Lord of the Rings musical has been worth the wait.

The Toronto show had its first preview performance on Saturday night and the diehard Lord of the Rings fans in attendance gave it rave reviews.

Twenty-five-year-old Leah Hashimoto said she's read all the books, seen all the movies and still her high expectations were met.

The mistakes Saturday night actually made the experience more memorable, she said.

"There were some little technical difficulties but it was kind of better that way," she said. "You get to see how the production works and how there are mistakes at the beginning. It was really good, it was fun."

The long-awaited show hit a snag early last week when producer Kevin Wallace decided to cancel the first two opening-night previews set for Thursday and Friday, saying more time was needed to fine-tune the show.

Hundreds of fans - including many who planned to come from out of town just for the performances - were left disappointed.

Liam Kearns, 36, from Vancouver, travelled to Toronto specifically to see the show and said he felt lucky his show wasn't cancelled.

After taking in the production, he said it was definitely worth the trip, and added he wasn't bothered by the technical glitches.

"I knew this was just a preview," he said. "It's 95 per cent perfect already, so when it opens it'll be a big event, I'm sure."

He said the show is something really unique for the theatre and should impress frequent theatregoers while still appealing to the general public.

"It's not really a musical in the tradition sense, it's really a stage extravaganza. There's music but it's a dramatic play," he said.

"And for people who haven't gone to the theatre, this is a good venue for them to break into becoming theatregoers."

He said he was impressed by how well the story was translated to the stage, especially since Hollywood special effects couldn't be employed.

"They did an excellent job, they relied on the story to tell itself," he said. "And the choreography and the stage fighting - you can tell they'd been working on it for months and months."

Fifteen-year-old Kaitlin Marrin said she was impressed by how well the sets and characters were portrayed on stage.

"Gollum's costume is really creepy and he (plays) a really amazing role. You just watch him and all the behaviours that he does are really amazing," she said.

The pint-sized hobbits also looked just the right size on stage, she said.

"They look like they're four-feet-tall while everyone else looks like they're six-feet-tall; they pulled it off really well."

Kearns said knowing the story and its characters isn't essential to enjoy the play, so even those who don't know an orc from an ent can follow the story.

Hashimoto said newcomers might actually enjoy the show even more because they'll be kept in suspense, unlike most fans.

Well, Wabbit, did that catch you unawares? Perhaps you're simply too stunned to respond ... :D

Doug Johnson said:
I have tickets. I'll let you know what I think.

Published: Sunday, February 05, 2006
TORONTO (CP) - Despite a two-day delay to fine-tune the production and some first-night mistakes, theatregoers say the new Lord of the Rings musical has been worth the wait.

The Toronto show had its first preview performance on Saturday night and the diehard Lord of the Rings fans in attendance gave it rave reviews.

Twenty-five-year-old Leah Hashimoto said she's read all the books, seen all the movies and still her high expectations were met.

The mistakes Saturday night actually made the experience more memorable, she said.

"There were some little technical difficulties but it was kind of better that way," she said. "You get to see how the production works and how there are mistakes at the beginning. It was really good, it was fun."

The long-awaited show hit a snag early last week when producer Kevin Wallace decided to cancel the first two opening-night previews set for Thursday and Friday, saying more time was needed to fine-tune the show.

Hundreds of fans - including many who planned to come from out of town just for the performances - were left disappointed.

Liam Kearns, 36, from Vancouver, travelled to Toronto specifically to see the show and said he felt lucky his show wasn't cancelled.

After taking in the production, he said it was definitely worth the trip, and added he wasn't bothered by the technical glitches.

"I knew this was just a preview," he said. "It's 95 per cent perfect already, so when it opens it'll be a big event, I'm sure."

He said the show is something really unique for the theatre and should impress frequent theatregoers while still appealing to the general public.

"It's not really a musical in the tradition sense, it's really a stage extravaganza. There's music but it's a dramatic play," he said.

"And for people who haven't gone to the theatre, this is a good venue for them to break into becoming theatregoers."

He said he was impressed by how well the story was translated to the stage, especially since Hollywood special effects couldn't be employed.

"They did an excellent job, they relied on the story to tell itself," he said. "And the choreography and the stage fighting - you can tell they'd been working on it for months and months."

Fifteen-year-old Kaitlin Marrin said she was impressed by how well the sets and characters were portrayed on stage.

"Gollum's costume is really creepy and he (plays) a really amazing role. You just watch him and all the behaviours that he does are really amazing," she said.

The pint-sized hobbits also looked just the right size on stage, she said.

"They look like they're four-feet-tall while everyone else looks like they're six-feet-tall; they pulled it off really well."

Kearns said knowing the story and its characters isn't essential to enjoy the play, so even those who don't know an orc from an ent can follow the story.

Hashimoto said newcomers might actually enjoy the show even more because they'll be kept in suspense, unlike most fans.

Umm, I think I'll go over to the one liners thread and add "be careful what you wish for" :D

bren said:
Well, Wabbit, did that catch you unawares? Perhaps you're simply too stunned to respond ...

:eek: <-- this is my stunned face. I'm really sorry I ever mentioned it now! I'll be having nightmares about capering elves! *shudder*

It's a hot ticket. The first couple of months are booked solid. It'll probably hit Broadway. Maybe instead of being stunned, Wabbit should have a little more confidence in his ideas and become a producer.;)

CDA said:
Well, thanks for letting me know.

But surely it would depend upon the kind of music used?

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote would be interesting. Perhaps one about Charlie Starkweather and his young girlfriend would be interesting as well. Not necessarily an Annie production, but then again, we have threads on Lolita. :D It could be done, but it would have to be through some psychological lens of analyzing the past-broken relationships and that kind of thing. If it was just about the gore and stuff like that, then no. I've seen that one Woody Harrelson film, not good. Then again, other thoughtful films have been created on the subject matter that focused on the *deeper* aspects of the given situation.

There's going to be a musical based on the first two Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. The title, surprisingly enough, is Lestat: The Musical. From the pictures that can be found on the play's website, I'm kind of skeptical about it...

Back to the main topic: American Pyscho has the potential to become one hell of an Off-Off-Broadway show.

SFG75 said:
In Cold Blood Perhaps one about Charlie Starkweather and his young girlfriend would be interesting as well.

Springsteen has already written a song about that: not exactly a Broadway tune though.

How about,The Sound and the Fury, the Musical? Almost as good as The Lord of the Rings, I should say.;)

Stewart said:
Is would the word here?

I don't know what CDA posted (I'm guessing something about Fred & Rose West - The Musical) but since it's within bounds of the forum's membership agreement I would suggest that it may have been better to wait until someone was offended. Unless, of course, you were offended.

That said, the notion of serial killer musicals has been done before: in 1996 Brasseye spoofed the idea of a musical about (and starring) Peter Sutcliffe.

3.7 The Book Forum reserves the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason without prior notice.

Hi Stewart :)

While I agree that you can never know what will offend somebody there is a good chance that jokes about notorious child killers will upset people. Also, you can't always wait until somebody complains. Our job is to keep the forum a friendly place for everybody and that means sometimes removing controversial items that we think have a good chance to offend.

Thanks.

I'd like to see a comedy routine made into a musical- The Aristocrats. It involves a guy and his family.:D

I heard Anne Rice's Interview With A Vampire is to be turned into a musical with Elton John composing. I definitely want to see that--both for the book and for Elton.
I think they should do a Harry Potter musical. XD. It would shut all the 11-year-olds on fanfiction.net up anyway...and maybe once they get their fill they'll stop writing "Harry Potter goes to American Idol" stories.

Anamnesis said:
There's going to be a musical based on the first two Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. The title, surprisingly enough, is Lestat: The Musical. From the pictures that can be found on the play's website, I'm kind of skeptical about it...QUOTE]

I heard about this a couple of years ago and thought it was a joke!! I loved the vampire chronicles, esp The Vampire Lestat. I think it would definitely be funny, but whether we would laugh at it rather than along with it is probably the question.

Can you imagine the scene with the wolves as a musical number?! I have in my head something as ridiculous as the "You can always depend on the kindness of strangers" ending to Oh! Streetcar on The Simpsons.:)

Back