• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The next big thing

dele

Children in schools today read Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Jack London, the Bronte sisters, Mark Twain, Jonathan Swift, and many, many others who would have laughed if you told them of the fame their books would still hold, hundreds of years later.

Which contemporary authors do you think will be read in schools in a couple hundred years?

I don't see literature being important in schools given a two hundred year timescale from now.

Schools are going downhill. To prevent qualifications becoming worthless they go through reform. With these reforms the schools are going further downhill. Until they split into two paths where the student can choose to do academic qualifications or vocational qualifications then the power of schooling will continue to plummet.

Our resident pessimist, ladies and gentlemen. He'll be here all week; be sure to tip the waitress on your way out.

Cheers

Abulafia said:
I don't see literature being important in schools given a two hundred year timescale from now.

Schools are going downhill. To prevent qualifications becoming worthless they go through reform. With these reforms the schools are going further downhill. Until they split into two paths where the student can choose to do academic qualifications or vocational qualifications then the power of schooling will continue to plummet.

And this might well happen unless informed people such as ourselves never visit schools to talk about exceptional books, don't contact educators to express your dismay about the current state (whether or not you have kids!) and don't volunteer to read to children at your local library. Schools are only the forum for education, not the inspiration. Get a kid excited about books and they'll stay excited!

Okay, off my soapbox! :p

Cathy
Evil penguins always volunteer, to indoctrinate the masses!

Get a kid excited about books and they'll stay excited!

Not necessarily. I got my ex-boyfriend hooked on books for a while. He was reading more than I was... until he happened upon a book that he didn't like. He didn't have the sense to put it down and he suffered through it. I don't think he's read anything since.

On the other hand, 19-year-olds are already stuck in their ways... Maybe if I'd gotten to him sooner...

dele said:
On the other hand, 19-year-olds are already stuck in their ways...

Not always - my brother had hardly read a book for years until I gave him a Terry Pratchett, since then he's worked through almost all the ones I own, and read some Tom Sharpe and Douglas Adams, so people can change! :)

Ok, I'll post the lyrics, then:

You
I wanna take you to a gay bar,
I wanna take you to a gay bar,
Gay bar, gay bar, gay bar.

Let's start a war,
Start a nuclear war,
At the gay bar, gay bar, gay bar
Waaaw!

[MUSICAL GAP]

At the gay bar

[MUSICAL GAP]

I've got something to put in you,
At the gay bar, gay bar, gay bar

[MUSICAL GAP]

You're a superstar,
At the gay bar

You're a superstar,
At the gay bar

Superstar

Cheers

Haha, why can't that be considered a poem? I mean, at school we learn about gay artists (I'm attending art school) and how they reflected their homosexuality in their work.

In a hundred years, I bet everyone is gay.

And the reason for that will be that lyric 8)

martin>>give me some credit
thats not the type of record im chatting about. that is some comedy novelty 1hit wonder biznizz. quite jokes tho

the other thing isw that kids always gonna dig tunes much more than reading. generally. so its a good way in imo

maybe some rap like this from nas [per se]

What Goes Around>>>
The China-men built the railroad, the Indians saved the Pilgrim
And in return the Pilgrim killed 'em
They call it it Thanksgiving, I call your holiday hell-day
Cause I'm from poverty, neglected by the wealthy
Me and my n****z share gifts, e'ryday like Christmas
Slay bitches, and party e'ryday like this is the last
I'm with my heckles, connectin and we hittin the lab
This is my level, f**k if it get you mad

It's all poison, all of my words to enemies it is poison
Rappers only talk about ki's, it's all poison