• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Night Dad Went to Jail

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
The Night Dad Went to Jail

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_51CBnSISLQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The only review:

Good, but sugarcoats things...

I bought this book for our adopted Ethiopian son the night my life partner was arrested for grand-theft auto at a Peter Piper's Pizza in Tulsa.

I knew that one way or another we were going to have to break the news to Billy that his other daddy was going away for a while, that both of his daddies still loved him very much, and that everything was going to be okay. And this book delivered all that, but it fell short of giving Billy an accurate picture of what his daddy was going through.

Where are the stained bunk beds? The blazing fluorescent lights? Where's the creepy bunny with the missing ear carving a swastika on the wall with a plastic spoon? Where's the toilet sangria? Where's the bunny snitch that gets shanked by a member of the Aryan Brotherhood?

And about that... Bunnies? Now my kid thinks going to jail is like a trip to Mr. MacGregor's garden. If incarceration is like it is depicted in this book, sign me up! God knows my kid wants to visit now.

Thanks to the author's so-called "sensitivity to children's delicate and irreplaceable sense of innocence," I'm going to have to explain to my kid the difference between the Crips and the Bloods. I'm going to have to teach him the cigarette value of a piece of fresh fish, the dangers of Hepatitis C, and how to fashion a toilet papier-mache chess set.

"Ernest Goes To Jail" did a better job of scaring kids away from a life of crime.

:rofl:

Back