• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

"The Old Ace in the Hole"-Proulx;Reading Group Questions

Sitaram

kickbox
I am posting at the official Annie Proulx site to help compile a list of questions for discussion for a local reading group:

http://www.annieproulx.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20

During my searching, I came across the following link which may be of some interest to members here:

http://www.listology.com/content_show.cfm/content_id.9204

This is a list of books which people became interested in after reading about them on-line. Many books have links to the on-line information.

Reading though this list and the links may give some ideas to members at TBF.

I read "That Old Ace in the Hole" last year and loved it, but I couldn't find anyone here who wanted to talk about it.

Miss Shelf said:
I read "That Old Ace in the Hole" last year and loved it, but I couldn't find anyone here who wanted to talk about it.

Thanks so much for your reply. Perhaps you might find time to review the study group questions I am compiling for that post at Annie Proulx official site, and make some comments or suggestions. Then perhaps we could post a link to an appropriate thread at TBF and attract some outside interest.

I also feel that there is much merit in a project to define guidelines or an outline for the composition of reading group questions for any given work. Surely there must be some universal, recurrent themes that might be systematized. I imagine that organizations such as sparknotes have developed some systematic methods or criteria.

Thanks, but my time is limited and I'd rather have a discussion here at TBF than go elsewhere to discuss something.

Miss Shelf said:
Thanks, but my time is limited and I'd rather have a discussion here at TBF than go elsewhere to discuss something.

I am happy to repost here what I have gathered so far regarding "The Old Ace in the Hole" if there is some interest and no objection. Then all discussion would take place here. Let me know if that is a good idea.

Certainly, it is my desire to contribute to and enrich this site, rather than to detract from it.

The official Annie Proulx site is of unusual interest in that the administrator is the son of Annie Proulx, Morgan Lang, and Annie Proulx is occasionally informed regarding posts at that site.

Sitaram said:
I am happy to repost here what I have gathered so far regarding "The Old Ace in the Hole" if there is some interest and no objection. Then all discussion would take place here. Let me know if that is a good idea.

Certainly, it is my desire to contribute to and enrich this site, rather than to detract from it.

The official Annie Proulx site is of unusual interest in that the administrator is the son of Annie Proulx, Morgan Lang, and Annie Proulx is occasionally informed regarding posts at that site.

Thank you for these links, Sitaram. Both you and Annie Proulx can only enrich any sites you grace, in person or otherwise.

Sitaram said:
I also feel that there is much merit in a project to define guidelines or an outline for the composition of reading group questions for any given work. Surely there must be some universal, recurrent themes that might be systematized. I imagine that organizations such as sparknotes have developed some systematic methods or criteria.

Sitaram, this is defnitely a worthy goal. I always feel that book discussion could benefit from a little more guidance. And I happen to have That Old Ace in the Hole somewhere around awaiting my attention. I'll try to get to it soon (I'm a great fan of The Shipping News, BTW, so have high hopes) and return to this thread in due course. At that point I'll also take a peek at the Proulx site. Hesitate to do so now, as I don't want to encounter any spoilers or sour my approach to the work.

Back