• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The 'Real Read'

I didn't know before, but the Daily Telegraph along with Ottakers are running 'The Real Read' (kind of like last year's Big Read only with non-fiction novels).

The top ten can be found in the poll: http://www.ottakars.co.uk/Internet/realread/realread_vote.jsp
With the winner being announced on the 15th May

The top 10:

All Creatures Great and Small
James Herriott
These tales of veterinary life on the Yorkshire Dales are sometimes whimsical, more often hysterical, and always enchanting.

Angela's Ashes
Frank McCourt
From the slums of Limerick to poverty in Brooklyn, McCourt relives his early years with magical detail.

A Child Called 'It'
Dave Pelzer
Dave Pelzer suffered unimaginable abuse at the hands of his mother and lived to tell the tale.

Cider With Rosie
Laurie Lee
This is an elegant and evocative memoir of growing up in the rural bliss of a Cotswold village.

The Diary of Anne Frank
Anne Frank
The classic true story from the Holocaust which has touched and inspired generation after generation.

Long Walk to Freedom
Nelson Mandela
Apartheid hero Mandela emerges from his book as a humble, yet truly great and noble, leader.

My Family and Other Animals
Gerald Durrell
Durrell's childhood on Corfu provided the inspiration for his future career as a conservationist, often with hilarious results.

Notes From a Small Island
Bill Bryson
Bryson perfectly captures the inherent oddness and charm of British life in the latter part of the 20th Century.

Stalingrad
Antony Beevor
Beevor's searing account of the siege of Stalingrad reveals the brutal, ugly truth behind one of WWII's decisive battles.

Wild Swans
Jung Chang
Jung Chang tells her story, as well as that of her mother and her grandmother, in this revealing portrait of life in communist, and pre-communist, China.

Thanks, thats a great link for those of us that actually read non-fiction!! :)

Personally i've read the Bryson & the Durrell from this list, and i know that Ice loves James Herriot! :)

Phil

Back