• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Shining and symbols?

amandap

If anyone has ever read The Shining by Stephen King, I could use your help. I am reading the book for a paper in my world lit class and I have pretty much got it all figured out for the analyasis part of the paper. But I am still confused on a few things and what they mean....:confused:

The Behive: When Jack places the bee hive in Danny's room and during the night the bees come to life and start to sting him all over. And when Jack was a child, there was a bee hive outside his house that his dad smoked and killed all the bees.

Fire: The fire comes up a number of times in the last 100 pages. When Jack decides to let the boiler keep climbing in psi's and not let the steam out... there would be an explosion with fire. And then that night in Danny's dream, the Overlook catches on fire and his mom points out to him the hedge animals that are burned up. Then Jack comes out of the Overlook's front doors and is on fire.

Hedge Animals: When Jack is out in the garden alone, the hedge animals seem to come to life. I think that this is just King's way of showing us how he is starting to become more insane... but I could be wrong.

Thanks to anyone who can help!
:D

Back