• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Spellsong Cycle

opinion8ed2

Anyone ever read "The Spellsong Cycle" (it's a series of four books) by LE Modesitt Jr. ?
I found them interesting. Never heard the concept of music=magic. I enjoyed them at least...I read all four!

I haven't read Spellsong, tho I did read some of Modesitt's Recluse saga. I liked the 1st one. And then I read the next one, and it was exactly the same as the 1st one. And the 3rd, which was exactly the same as the 1st two. And then I said screw the rest of them. I do have signed copies, tho. The story is good, the 1st one is original, but Modesitt should have attempted a conversation with an actual woman before creating female characters. The same two female characters in each book are completely unbelievable. I suspect he is a monk.

If you like the idea of music/magic, there is another series by
Elizabeth Haydon you might like. I haven't read the trilogy (Rhapsody, Destiny, Prophecy) but I read Requiem for the Sun and Rhapsody's magic seemed to work that way.

Also, in Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series, the bards have a form of magic as well.

1983 Spellsinger - Alan Dean Foster
One of my favorite series when I was younger. Much more fanciful than Modesitt, but more enrapturing too.

I've seen reviews on Modesitt and everyone talks about his bad female characters. I guess I never noticed, not being a female myself. lol..but I read alot of bad reviews on the series after googling it, to see what other people thought.

Both series that yall suggested sound interesting. I'll be sure to check em out!

Back