• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being--best translation?

corneggs

I never knew that The Unbearable Lightness of Being was translated from Czech into English until a few days ago! Since I want to read the novel BUT I hate translated novels, I must find the best translation. Anyone who has read the book have any ideas on this? Thank you.

I know that there are many different translations of the Iliad. I seem to see a new one every decade or so.

I am not aware of so many translations of Kundera's novel.

Later, I will find my copy, and post details here, but it is probably the same one you would find in a google search.

Kundera has a long-standing legitimate grip with translators. When the Russians invaded Prague in the 1960's, Kundera was forced to flee, and has lived in exile in France to this day. He writes in Czech (and now, sometimes in French). His books are banned by the Czech government, so he must depend upon translators to make his book available to readers around the world. I read that one of his novels has an endorsement by Kundera to the effect that he approves of the translators work.

I just purchased the 3 hour movie DVD of "The Unbearable Lightness of Being", which includes also a 3 hour commentary by the director and others on how the movie was produced. The commentary mentions Kundera's involvement in the making of the film. I was surprised to hear that Kundera encouraged the director to take whatever liberty might be necessary to adapt the novel to film. I thought perhaps Kundera might be more rigid in such matters.

Back