• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Witches of Eileanan

Has anyone read the Witches of Eileanan series by Kate Forsyth? I absolutely loved them! They are my favorite books ever and I am about to start the last two in the series today... :)

--Sara Michelle--

I have this on my shelf to read, but haven't gotten to it yet. I'd love to heard what others think of it.

saramichelle said:
Has anyone read the Witches of Eileanan series by Kate Forsyth? I absolutely loved them! They are my favorite books ever and I am about to start the last two in the series today... :)

--Sara Michelle--

Could you tell me more about the series :)

What are they about?

Well....I'm better prepared to answer that question now that I've finished the last two.

They are obviously fantasy...so they are the regular good vs. evil, but they are a lot more too. The author is great at involving the reader in story and I couldn't put them down.

So, anyway,......
They are about two sisters who are witches and each play a different part in saving the land of Eileanan. That is just the good vs. evil part. It also ties in romance, which was probably one of the best parts of the book.

I'm afraid to say too much... If this isn't enough go to Barnes and Noble and read some of the review..those always help a lot.
--Sara Michelle--

saramichelle said:
Well....I'm better prepared to answer that question now that I've finished the last two.

They are obviously fantasy...so they are the regular good vs. evil, but they are a lot more too. The author is great at involving the reader in story and I couldn't put them down.

So, anyway,......
They are about two sisters who are witches and each play a different part in saving the land of Eileanan. That is just the good vs. evil part. It also ties in romance, which was probably one of the best parts of the book.

I'm afraid to say too much... If this isn't enough go to Barnes and Noble and read some of the review..those always help a lot.
--Sara Michelle--

Thanks for posting your thoughts :)

Can I ask -

Was it a very detailed series?
Is there a lot of magic well used in the seris?
Does it have a soppy romantic theme rather than just a love interest?

Can I Ask

Yes, I'd say it is detailed. Most of the books I read are...you can really get into a book that way and these books definately allow you to feel as though your there.

The magic part of the book is awesome! I read a lot of fantasy and I feel that Forsyth poured her heart and soul into that aspect of the book. Everything that is in connection with magic in this book is so amazing.

The romance is real. It is fierce and passionate, but not like a Danielle Steele book. The book would be empty and definately wouldn't work without it.

--Sara Michelle--

I started the first book in the series and absolutely hated it so much that I couldn't get more than half way through it. There were so many elements to the author's writing style that just irked me to no end - habit of telling versus showing thoughts and actions, character actions that just seemed out of character, somewhat flat characters, and that durn dialect! It took me a very long time - months, possibly up to a year - before I could even make it that far... and then, it got better. I ended up liking the last half of the book so much that I immediately bought the rest in the series. Go figure.

They're worth a read, though I don't put them anywhere up there on my list of favorites and I will probably never buy another book by the author after having read these. The characters remained particularly unattractive to me throughout the series, though they did get somewhat more interesting. The story was what kept me going - I continued with the series despite feeling the world was a bit bland and been-there, lack of real concern or interest for the characters, and the author isn't really that great of a write IMO. But, I did really like the story.

So, don't know if that's much of a help toward a review, but apparently a lot of people really like these - and I ended up enjoying them, too, for the most part once I got going. Major issues with 'em, but I did read them all. :p

whoops

I have the first two books, I started reading the first one it seemed ok, but I stopped reading it because a book I had been waiting four had come out. I completely forgot about them. I’ll have to have a look for it and start reading it again (once I’ve finished what I’m reading though)

Back