• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Theme (wordcount 1687) - Warning: language

direstraits

My team was gathered onboard the Dreadnought Arcturus. CaiY, FuHF, BaoCL and LiXR were present for this particular mission briefing.

Cyberverse was the premier online game of the last five years, and had taken over my online life for the best part of three. It was by far the most addictive thing out there, what with the fantastic graphics and impressive play mechanics. In real-life, I was seated in my underwear in my flat in downtown Boston, but when you’re immersed in Cyberverse your attention is all in the game.

“Guys, the Jade Retrieval mission in the Xorn Complex is finally open to us, and I want it!” LiXR was our newest recruit, but boasted impressive stats. And I wasn’t talking about her physical appearance. She had been playing previously from the Dreadnought Arcadia, and gained all her experience points there. She only recently requested board here in the Arcturus, citing ‘creative differences’ between her and her commanding officer. LiXR was using the human female Engineer-class avatar from the game. Fair-skinned, raven black hair, curvaceous and clad in white skin-tight armour. The game allows personalization options to distinguish one player from the next, and for her personal emblem she chose a non-game-standard image of a heart with a knife pierced through it.

“Not going to be easy, BriXX.” BaoCL, an anthropomorphic lion, was paradoxically my most cautious member.

“I think we should be able to scrape through,” I said. “Plus, it’ll finally open up the Prime Avatar rank for LiXR.” LiXR is the only player closest to the attaining the highest rank in the game, one that opened up endless playability options. More levels, more enemies, more loot.

LiXR turned to me. And by ‘me’ I meant my representation in the game. My avatar. “Please, can we run it tonight?” She seemed desperate.

Everyone seemed to assent to this. “Ok, then,” I said. “See you in 8 hours.”

—————​

“Sorry, just sent a quick email.” I hurried into the meeting room, laptop in hand, and scurried to the nearest available seat. Everyone was already there. Alicia turned back to the whiteboard, and went back to her diagrams, adding more boxes and lines. I was feeling incredibly conspicuous.

“So when the users started coming in to work from the Far East,” Alicia was saying, “the load just overwhelmed the database.”

This was the postmortem of the fiasco that took out the corporate network facility of our largest client, Coloco Inc, for most of the morning yesterday. The problem was a major embarrassment to the company I worked for, and our bosses were told in no uncertain terms by the Coloco CEO that it must be fixed. To cut to the heart of the matter, as it were.

Robert Shaw, my company’s Chief Operations, interrupted Alicia’s monologue. “Who from our team was up that night working on the server migration?”

Eyes flicked to me. Of course. Why did anyone think I was here? “I was, Mr Shaw.”

“Any problems encountered during migration?”

“I don't think so. Normally...”

“Don't think, Wilder. Was there a problem, or wasn't there?”

“Uh, no.”

“Wilder, it has come to my attention that your… how to put it… work hygiene, is none too pleasing of late.” I didn't know this would go to him so quickly. “Alicia has already highlighted to me that the quality of your work has been wanting. I had better not find out that the problem yesterday came from your lack of attention to detail.”

“No, sir.” Alicia had been working extra time, I see. It was no secret within the company that she and I were not friends, especially since she found out quite by accident that I earned a little more than she did.

“See to it that the problem is mitigated. Tonight. I don’t want to see a repeat of yesterday.”

—————​

I don’t know, LiXR. I have a mighty important job to do tonight.

We won’t get another chance for the next three months! Prime Avatar status grants us all access to the Council! C’mon, BriXX, I can’t do it without you.

Couldn’t LinD cover you instead?

We need the ReaperGuns, and you’re the only avatar who can use them!

I don’t know, I could lose my job if this thing fails.

Ok, remember I said I lived in Shanghai? Actually, I lied. I’m actually based in Maine.

No way!

Way. You think it’s easy being a online girl gamer? I get lewd messages from total strangers, and horny kids spend more time hitting on me than the enemies during siege sessions.

LOL! Why don’t you play as a guy, then?

Because I’m a girl, Bri. I take the good and the bad. So sometimes I pretend to be Chinese to stave off the casual chit-chats. The real Chinese don’t like to play here with us gwailos, after all.

LOL!

So since you once told me you were in Boston, maybe we can meet up in Real Life or something?

You drive a hard bargain, LiXR. How do I know you’re not a guy?

You don’t. And I’m not going to send you naked pix to prove anything to you. It’s a risk. Heck it’s a risk for me too, how the hell will I know you’re not an axe murderer?

Point.

So?

Ok.

Ok?

I’ll do it.

REALLY??? Yay!!! I feel like kissing you right now!

But I may be an axe murderer.

I doubt it, you’re so sweet! ;p I’ll see you tonight! Don’t forget!​

—————​

“Will you stop fucking around with your laptop and concentrate on the job at hand?”

“The CPU utilization is still at 80%, Shepard. The load is not coming yet. We’ve still some time.” I tried to be nonchalant, but the fact was the database load was going to come at any time.

But I had to join the LiXR team in Cyberverse too. I brought my personal laptop to the server console room, in the hope that I can do two things at once. The laptop was running Cyberverse, and in it, my avatar was standing outside the Xorn complex, being sieged by enemy fire. LiXR, FuHF and BaoCL were inside the complex. “WE’RE ALMOST DONE WITH THE RETRIEVAL! HOLD ON BRIXX!” BaoCL was screaming over the chatlines. They were at the final stages of the Jade recovery process, and right about now LiXR would be hard at work typing in the arcane commands in an attempt to break open the Xorn vaults. My job was to hold back enemy fire until they were done.

“Shut the fucking thing down, man, and keep your eye on the Coloco process monitor! If this thing fucks up it’s going on your head!” Shepard had been working as the admin for 5 years now, which was plenty of time to turn him into a fire-spitting beasts. Server admins always have it hard. “When the load comes you won’t have time to load the override if you continue to dick around with that thing!”

I gave a cursory glance at the Coloco process monitor while I blasted a Xorn Enforcer in the face. “Still nothing, Shepard.” The Xorn swarms were starting to build now, and stealing a glance away meant a hit on any of the folks in the Xorn complex.

“Hey dickhead, I’m seeing an increase in activity. You might want to actually earn your pay now.” Shepard was furiously cycling through monitoring programs on his workstation. No choice now, I had to investigate. I loaded up the monitoring process on the Coloco servers, and sure enough, a steady incline in memory utilization.

“I’m preparing the override code now, Shepard. Let me just…”

“OVERWHELMED!!!!! HEI WHR R U BRIXX? WER DYIN HERE!” I quickly returned to my avatar and commandeered a cannon to sweep the Xorn compound with laser fire.

“Shit, here it is! UPLOAD THE OVERRIDE!” Shepard was repeatedly pressing the F5 key as he attempted to slow the incoming database load. I jumped across to the workstation again and tried to find the program and started keying in the impossibly long command line arguments to set the program parameters.

“You should have done that first instead of playing your stupid game, you dickhead! You won’t upload the override in time!”

I finished the command line and pressed ENTER.

“WE DID IT! WE GOT THE JADE! WHOOOOOOHOOOOO!!!”

In real life, though, it was too late. The override code did not complete in time. I glanced around at the servers just beyond the glass screen of the console room, and felt a little part of me die as the Coloco servers’ indicator lights flickered out and faded.

—————​

I was placing my pewter cardholder into a cardboard box when Alicia walked up to the cubicle.

“I just heard the news.”

“Well, you got want you wanted.” I put the last of my things away, and threw a look around the cubicle.

“Look, I didn’t mean for it to end this way. I really did expect you to be able to contain the situation.” She actually looked a little guilty as she said it. “For what it’s worth, I’m sorry to see you go.”

“Of course you are.” This would be the first time I hit the self-destruct button over something as huge as an actual employment over my addiction to Cyberverse. I sure hoped LiXR actually appreciates what I had done for her.

“Well, I am sorry. I don’t keep grudges, Bri. Drop by for coffee if you’re in the neighbourhood, ok?”

Alicia hovered for a moment, but realized I wasn’t going to say more. She gave a weak smile, then turned to go. I looked at her retreating profile as she walked away.

Then a thunderbolt struck. I gave a violent jerk, the shock of recognition burned by eyes. I don’t know why I hadn’t noticed it before. I stood there frozen for what seemed like minutes, unable to move.

Alicia was carrying her smartphone in her hand. And dangling from it was a pendant. The shape of a heart, with a knife piercing through it.

I like it, also. I didn't see it coming. One nit: LiXR is the only player closest to the attaining the highest rank in the game - only and closest player seems redundant.

Take care,

John

Thanks Sparky! My honest opinion is totally screwed this one up. A story that shouldn't have been told in 1500 words. I'll see if I can fish for more comments first before I lay out what I really think, after a stressful day's work and coming back to it in an unforgiving mood. :)

I like it, also. I didn't see it coming. One nit: LiXR is the only player closest to the attaining the highest rank in the game - only and closest player seems redundant.
John, thanks a million. I was looking for pitfalls like this. I shall file this away for my reference. Any more problems with the story? Clumsy sentences, wrong grammar?

Just the other day I learned about when I should use 'me' and 'I' in conjunction with other people in the same sentence (i.e. 'Ally and I took the biscuit', not 'Ally and me took the biscuit'). You read and read and read, but when you write, stupid things like this will surface and you didn't know you didn't know it. Gems, I tell you, gems! :)

Very nice. I guessed the ending shortly before the revelation, but that didn't detract from the effectiveness in any way. If I have a criticism is that the beginning is slowed by you introducing who your team is and what the game is. As I see it you don't need the detail except for LiXR as the other characters don't add to the story (unless of course you plan to extend it further).

Do you write for fun or do you plan to publish?

steve

Thanks for the feedback, Steve! Much appreciated that you took the time to write.

I entertain the possibility of being published. When I'm dreaming. :)

No, I know my limitations. This was a writing course exercise, and I learned that I have plenty plenty more to learn.

The problem with the story as I see it was a little towards what you said. The first draft of this story was well over 1500 words, and a lot of background on the game and the characters, and a smoother (one would think) transition between the Cyberverse and office scenes. I really hated the ending scene, which I cut like a maniac to get the whole thing down to 1500 words.

I may expand this to see how good it looks as a short story, then see if there's someone who'd put this in their anthology. It's probably easier to get this published where I am than elsewhere, I have to admit.

Good luck with it should you continue. I'm not sure if you're aware of the likes of ralan.com, but my guess is you might find someone there who could be interested (but don't fear rejection!)...

steve

Back