• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

This Perfect Day - Ira Levin

Halo

I was unfamiliar with Ira Levin’s name before searching out this novel on Amazon, though perhaps I shouldn’t have been, as apparently he also wrote Rosemary’s Baby and A Kiss Before Dying.

This Perfect Day is a compelling dystopian novel, in the tradition of 1984 (a novel which I would say had more than a little influence on this one). In This Perfect Day, the whole world has been “Unified”, that is, everything is controlled by a computer, Uni. The world has been founded on the wisdom of four people – Christ, Marx, Wood and Wei. Everyone has one of four first names for the men, and four names for the women – letters and numbers make up the rest of their “namebers”. Monthly “treatments”, i.e. a cocktail of drugs, keep the populace docile and contented, and stop them thinking individually. Chillingly, genetic engineering over the years has made everyone almost identical in appearance; their skin colour, height etc is almost uniform and they are not individuals, but a part of the “Family” that is Earth’s population. Everything is decided for the citizens, including the job they do, where they live, who they marry, and whether they have children or not.

Of course, there are always those who question how things are, and this is where the hero of the novel, Chip, comes in. Influenced at an early age by his unconventional grandfather (who gave him the nickname Chip), he begins to fight against the system. The novel follows Chip through his life, from his first minor rebellions to the life-changing decisions he makes.

Chip’s struggle to be an individual in such a tightly controlled world makes for compelling reading. Levin’s writing style is very straightforward and almost dispassionate, but I think this is deliberate to reflect Chip’s emotionless world. Anyway, it works well and pulls the reader into Chip’s world from the very beginning. 1984 was an obvious major influence on this novel, but towards the end I could also see aspects of “The Prisoner” (the influential ‘60s TV programme) in the plot.

For a “futuristic” novel written in 1970, this has aged very well. The concepts of super-computers, scanners and genetic modification must have seemed far in the future when this was written, but all these are relevant today. Concepts only jar and show the novel’s age occasionally, the worst instance being a reference to someone receiving an artificial heart in 1991, but apart from these few instances, This Perfect Day could have been written this year.

I would recommend this novel unreservedly to fans of dystopian fiction. Unfortunately, this novel seems to be out of print from what I could gather, but it’s well worth seeking out a second-hand copy. Has anyone else read this book?

I've never heard of it before reading this thread, but I do like reading the novels of Ira Levin so I will see if I can find a copy of it. I enjoyed Rosemary's Baby and Son of Rosemary so this novel could be an interesting change.

I read it back in the 70's. I recall that I enjoyed it TREMENDOUSLY. I cared about the main characters, and their plight, passionately. If it's out of print, it can only be because Uni must have pulled it off the presses.
Why else would they stop printing such a superb novel?

Libre said:
If it's out of print, it can only be because Uni must have pulled it off the presses.
Why else would they stop printing such a superb novel?

:D Exactly! "Fight Uni!"

Halo said:
Concepts only jar and show the novel’s age occasionally, the worst instance being a reference to someone receiving an artificial heart in 1991

Artifical heart: Patented 1961
In use around the early eighties
First self-contained heart: 1991

( Source: Wikipedia )

Doesn't seem all that jarring given that they were around in 1991. ;)

I suppose we'll be saying the same things when we reach whatever years Brave New World, We, and Anthem were set. I'm too young to know if it happened with 1984.​

Stewart said:
Artifical heart: Patented 1961
In use around the early eighties
First self-contained heart: 1991

Well, you learn something new every day (or so they say)!

I really don't know why this book should be out of print, as it's excellent. Still, I suppose quality is nothing to do with it...

Halo said:
Well, you learn something new every day (or so they say)!

I really don't know why this book should be out of print, as it's excellent. Still, I suppose quality is nothing to do with it...

Read Sliver. :D

StillILearn
I read Sliver.
Thought it was trash - pretty much.
But what does that have to do with Halo's comment about the quality of This Perfect Day?
Are you saying Sliver was so awful they took ALL of Levin's books out of print?
I really don't get what you are saying here - can you be a little clearer? A few more words might help.
I'd like to understand you.

Stewart said:
Since you are on a dystopian novel binge, have you checked the list of dystopian novels on Wikipedia?

I have now; thank you for that link. :) I've read about seven or eight of that list so far, and it is a genre I enjoy. Maybe I should read something else before my next dystopian novel though, or I might end up as depressed as Morrissey at an all-you-can-eat carvery. :(

Still: I assume Sliver was not exactly up to the standard of This Perfect Day?

Still: I assume Sliver was not exactly up to the standard of This Perfect Day?

Actually, no, but I still enjoyed it (as I recall.) It's been a while since I read either one, but I can chant "Matthew, Mark, Luke and Wei, lead us to this perfect day" with the best of them. :)

I think I'll put This Perfect Day on my to-be-reread list.

Back