• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Three of them.

GatorDeb

In one book, there's this island of children with this mean man who keeps them hostage. The story is told by one of the children who always describes himself as being made of stone. He gets into a fight with one of the other boys and their master plays off of it. The main character has a sidekick who is very timid and quiet. For some reason the word "Falcon" keeps popping up in my mind, as well as the word "Stone."

The second book is about this guy who's going to Harvard Medical school and the chunk I read is about his first year. Charley's his name, I believe (true biographical account). He buys a new bicycle, rides it once, it gets too cold, it stays in the closet where he looks at it, then rides it one more time to the Texaco sign and it gets stolen. At the end of the excerpt I read he describes the first year graduation party and the professor's heads bopping up and down ridiculously. He states in the book that it's not about learning but just memorizing and a friend fails a certain class and has to retake it in the vacation time. He asks her after vacation if she learned it and she responds 'Charley stop messing with me you know med school is not about learning.'

This other book is a genetics book that has a LOT of illustrations - it's written comic-book style, but it's a serious introductory college-level genetics book.

How about books about people who turned their lives around in the later years of their lives? Who built empires and businesses and wrote books in their 50's, 60's, 70's? (ages, not eras/decades)

Thanks! :)

PS How come we don't have a book trade forum?

The first one sounds vaguely familiar, but no solid ideas. No clue on the second or the third... but am curious what that third one might be.

As for your last question, check out paperbackswap.com. Best book trade site I've found.

Back