• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tobias Wolff-Old school

saliotthomas

After spending a while with Wolff old school, i started to realise that i could clearly find similarity with some other works and more than that, a sort of familly of authors both English and American. All with the same sense of subtle irony about their characters, not hard because in many ways we can sense their closeness to them, and also the same social background, a educated middle class with intellectual aspirations . Most of them, whom i read not long ago. Richard Yates, Patrick McGrath, Christopher Isherwood, John Cheever, and now Tobias wolf would belong to this unnamed family (or not that I know of).
Another strong link between them is this use of the near impossibility of communication, the perpetual misunderstanding of thought or feelings, be it with someone close or a stranger. This constant representation, this idea and gap between what we feel we are (or others) and the reality, stubbornly addressing images we have of created by simplification or complicated phantasm.

This is somehow an acrobatic introduction to Old school but it struck me as the essence of the book. All along , authors and would be author spend their time addressing someone else, Frost seeing humour and irreverence where there is praise, the hilarious part white Ayn Rand and the vegetarian simpleton, the narrator and himself who manage to believe his plagiarism is his own story, and the excellent conclusion with the Hemigway and the dean.

Again, the simple and stylish writing, the discrete buildings of dramas in the relation between characters, and the sense that after all, it is more funny once one realize the ridicule does not kill and once this is swallowed, we can get one with life without the extra burden of false pretence.
The conclusion of many life crisis could be that if god existed, he has a weird sense of humour.

Ps,i've got a new version of Word with the spelling thing that works, amazing the amount of stuff i thought i was spelling right, just plain amazing. Thanks for your patience.

Back