• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Too good to read.

Martin

This is something I touched upon in another thread, and I was wondering if any of you are familiar with this peculiar phenomenon.

I'll use the same example I used in the other thread I linked to, for clarity's sake.

I love Jasper Fforde's novels, and sofar there are five of them. I own them all, and two of them I've read and loved. Now, when it's time to mosey over to my bookshelf and pick the book I'll read next, I more and more often find myself skipping the Fforde novels, simply because I do not want to read them. Let me rephrase that; I'm dying to read tem, I just don't want to finish them. I don't read them (yet) because, after that, I will never again be able to read them for the first time, ever again.

So I skip 'em.

Does anyone do this; am I a freak; or, quite possibly, both.

Martin said:
am I a freak;
Yup :D

No seriously - this is something I have never come across. I am the opposite, if I love an author's work then I want to read it as soon as I can.

Martin,
Shut your eyes. Step back from the bookshelf. Take two sideways steps, either direction. Open your eyes. The world will look normal again and the feeling will pass. :)
I definitely know the feeling, but I have never been able to save my dessert. I just read the books and say I'm sorry to be doing this but I'm doing it. And the author better write another one quick!
Very best,
Hope you enjoy the books /evil grin/
Peder

I was like that with The Dark Tower, I guess. I didn't want it to end.
after that, I will never again be able to read them for the first time, ever again.
I recommended a book to my boyfriend... and while he was reading it, I found myself incredibly jealous that he was experiencing something great for the first time and that I won't have that feeling anymore. I mean, I could pick it up and read it again, but it won't ever be the same as the first time. ;)

Kind of weird, huh? :eek:

Martin said:
am I a freak?

Yes. :p But then I must be too, as I have felt the same way sometimes. I know exactly what you mean. Also, it's worse for me when the author has not written that many books - what I mean is that if you get into someone like Pratchett, who has written over 30 books, at least the fact that there are plenty more to read is some comfort. If the author you love so much has only published two or three books, I can understand wanting to prolong the experience, as you know that once those are finished, that's it - there are no more. :eek:

Martin, Martin, Martin..I just can't understand how you could do this to your poor books. Imagine, lifting their hopes of being read, by the very act of taking them into your home and giving them a place of honor on your bookshelf. Then, you pass them by, not once, not twice, but numerous times..you fiend, you scoundrel! The books in my TBR pile are moaning in sympathy with their passed -over kin.. ;)

Since we're sharing shameful secrets here, maybe now would be a good time for me to mention the 185+ titles I counted in that poor TBR of mine...For me it's the lure of library books...

Sounds like we're in good company with this crowd :D

I can certainly understand the feeling, though I happen not to put the books off. Instead, I put energy into finding more books like the ones I didn't want to be finished with. And I mean a lot of energy. I'm sure our fellow members who are librarians can attest to how urgently some people pursue the "If you liked that, you'll like this" service that libraries try (or should try) to provide.

Another way I try to deal with this feeling is to get other people to read the book so I can question them about how they liked it, how it made them feel, what did they think of this scene, and that character--so I can enjoy the book again vicariously.

And when all is said and done, there's always re-reading.

Martin said:
This is something I touched upon in another thread, and I was wondering if any of you are familiar with this peculiar phenomenon.

I'll use the same example I used in the other thread I linked to, for clarity's sake.

I love Jasper Fforde's novels, and sofar there are five of them. I own them all, and two of them I've read and loved. Now, when it's time to mosey over to my bookshelf and pick the book I'll read next, I more and more often find myself skipping the Fforde novels, simply because I do not want to read them. Let me rephrase that; I'm dying to read tem, I just don't want to finish them. I don't read them (yet) because, after that, I will never again be able to read them for the first time, ever again.

So I skip 'em.

Does anyone do this; am I a freak; or, quite possibly, both.

Martin Read and enjoy them!!! :)
Fforde will be writing some more, So you will then have some more to look forward to reading for the 1st time
:D

I'm the total opposite - if I'm liking an author or a series then I will try and get my hands on the books as quickly as possible. I don't really mind when the series is over or the works of the author run dry - there are always plenty more books to become attached to :)

Turns out I'm not alone in this. Phew!

Mari said:
.. I put energy into finding more books like the ones I didn't want to be finished with.
In the case of the example I used you'd be hard pressed to find books that are similar - Fforde's work is pretty unique. Otherwise, good advice.

Ta.

my thinking is you want to save the best for last, and if you read the fforde books next, they wont be last there for youll be disapointed by the next book you read afterwords.....haha hear what im saying???
i dont think i do,....

Martin, yes, yes and yes. :D

I go one step further. When I really like a book, I'll get to the last dozen pages or so, then stop -- because I don't want it to end. It may take me up to a week before I pick it up and finish. How crazy is that?!

ell

Ell said:
Martin, yes, yes and yes. :D

I go one step further. When I really like a book, I'll get to the last dozen pages or so, then stop -- because I don't want it to end. It may take me up to a week before I pick it up and finish. How crazy is that?!

LOlI don't know about crazy, but we all know and love people like you. Every family has at least one who opens their presents S-L-O-W-L-Y , specially on Christmas morning when everyone else is ripping paper and tearing ribbons to get at the loot. Either way, the presents(and books) get opened or read, and you are enjoying yourselves( you too Martin), so in the long run, life goes on. :cool:

I don't have any authors that I love SO much that I am in your position. However, every once in a while I read a book and find it to be amazing. I place those books at the back of the shelf and forget about them. Then, years later when I've forgotten most of what they are about I go back and re-read them. It doesn't happen often, but when it does I find I still enjoy the books. I remember bits and pieces, so it is never exactly the same as a first time read. I think the best comparison is kissing a partner who has been away for months and months at a time. Not a first kiss, but still a fresh kiss.

haha.. it definatly makes sense. i probably have done that a few times without completely realizing it. well, right now i do not want to re-read twp of my favorite books b/c it won't be as great the next time.

Back