• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Transparent Tape Removal

Dave66

kickbox
Howdy folks,
I have no idea if this is the proper forum to post this, but I'm considering buying a book from 1905 that has transparent tape across a pair of pages, which I assume means closer tears. Though the paper used in those days is made of sterner stuff (thick rag paper), any of you have a method of safely removing the transparent tape without damaging the pages?

I can solve the binding issues of the book easily, and seal any tear, but as one doesn't run into transparent tape in old books much, I am hopeful one of you folks can help me.

Dave

I guess it would be the right forum if it's a book of historical fiction.

If the paper really is rag, then you're lucky. By 1905, a lot of paper was already acidic wood pulp that gets brittle and discolored. The paper ages differently under the tape, so you end up with a shadow where the tape was no matter how carefully you remove the tape.

Removing tape from rag paper can use solvents, soaking, heat, freezing, and slicing. Professional archival or museum supply places have stuff for this. Professional library supply places sometimes have mass-market versions that may or may not be as good.

Thanks Eva, I'm going to use a hair dryer to heat the tape to the point I can remove the pieces. I shan't have any problems removing adhesive residue.

Some of my books from that vintage do have wood pulp pages, but I don't purchase those with any browning or tanning or Heaven forbid, brittleness.

Dave

Back