• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Travel/Outdoor

John Ryan

Hello everyone;

I'm new to the site. I found it a couple of weeks ago and signed up because I have been looking for new travel/outdoor non-fiction to read. I recently came across Meeting Mr. Ed: A Journey of Discovery on the Appalachian Trail. It opened me up to a new world of self published travel writing. It is one of the best books I've read in some time because it combines a description of several hikes on the Appalachian Trail with the Biography of Mr. Ed, the authors Father. I read it in three nights because I could not put it down. If anyone has ever read Ghost Rider by Neil Peart (Rush's drummer), this book is in a similar format.

What else is out there like this? Anyone have suggestions?

By the way, Meeting Mr. Ed has an awesome web site and you can order signed copies of the book directly from the author. The site is meetingmred.com. I am ordering another copy to give to my Dad on Father's Day. The father/son dynamic in the book is awesome!

I recommend any of the travelogues by Bill Bryson. He has a book about his time on the Appalachian Trail, as well, that was freaking hilarious. Now I think I might re-read it. All of his books are funny.

Back