• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Trying to find two children's books

Ciska

I'm trying to find two children's books that I used to read as a child. (I'm 20, so this is from 10/12 years ago). I can't remember the titles, authors or date of publication. But I do remember an awful lot about the stories.

The first book is a thickish hardback cover that is a compilation of about six different storie about fairies, pixies and animals. One of the stories was about some pixies or fairies that discovered the moon in the sky. It stayed there all day and night and eventually it disappeared. The pixies or fairies were quite distressed until they found out it was actually a white balloon. Another of the short stories is about a squirrel that goes outside at night to collect nuts or whatever. He stays out so late that he's caught by Jack Frost (who is depicted as a pixies type character that sprinkles frost everywhere). The squirrel's tail is frozen stiff and he can't move to get home. He gets rescued eventually by some pixies, who take him home. Another story involves a bigger fairy who features in a cinderalla-esque story and she wears this huge, gorgeous dress. She is the picture on the front cover of the book. The illustrations are beautifully flowing, with not many harsh lines.

The second book is thinner, bigger, picture book. It is about a girl and a boy (who are probably siblings) who go to this castle. I'm pretty sure the castle is owned by their uncle. Each double page is an illustration of one of the rooms in the castle. The rooms are heavily inhabited by workers and other weird things. When the boy and girl visit each room they have to find various things to keep the castle in order. So it's very much like Where's Wally but there are more things to find. For example, in the kitchen, you have to find x number of pink jellies. I think the point of the story is to find their uncle. The illustration look a bit older. They're not as polished as some illustrations these days. The author also does another book like this one, where they experience ancient egypt. (Btw, the castle is not haunted, it's portrayed as a happy, colourful and full castle).

So if these sound even slightly familiar, I would be very pleased to hear about it! I've been googling them and looking on Amazon and Barnes and Nobles and found nothing. So it kind of feels like I'm making them up!

Any help MUCH appreciated!!!!!

Back