• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Trying to Get Into Reading More, Need Book Recommendations

Avid Writer

To be honest, I have only read about three or four books thoroughly that I enjoyed. I want to get more into reading, but I cannot seem to find books that I like. I like fantasy/sci-fi. I really want to find a book with an edgy female character (gothic, punk, dominant) lead who falls in love with a more passive, shy male character (not a doormat, either).

I liked Ramona from Bryan Lee O'Malley's Scott Pilgrim graphic series, Alaska from John Green's Looking for Alaska. Perhaps my favorite female protagonist is Lisbeth Salander from the Millenium trilogy.

I loved the male introverted protagonist character (Charlie) in Stephen Chbosky's Perks of Being a Wallflower.

I'd like a movie with a happier ending where the girls gets the boy. Stated earlier, I love fantasy and sci-fi. So any post-apocalyptic, aliens, magic is a plus. I really love fantasy. Or a normal guy finds a magical girl, or more dangerous.

I hope that isn't too obscure. It seems like all the books I find with a romantic twist to the plot depict a much more masculine male who saves the helpless damsel in distress.

Also, are there any novels that have big, beautiful women (BBW) in a relationship where she's depicted with confidence, but where the male is portrayed more feminine?

Other than that, I'd like to just find a good fantasy/sci-fi/post-apocalyptic book. I like happier endings, surprises, the overall theme of the book is filled with optimism.

Thanks!

I love The Witcher books, by Andrzej Sapkowski. They are epic fantasy, not SciFi, but they are great and maybe some of the female characters there are the ones you´re looking for, specially Jennefer and Tris Merygold the sorcerers.
Hope you like them!

Back