• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tsumani Spin Effect

Drizzt Do'Urden

Scientists have said for a while taht after every disaster like this, theres another one they acll the spin effect. its very likely taht within the next 5 years or so the LA Basin will have a Tsunami, no joke. Also, theres a cajhnce Newfoudnalnd "Where I live) Will have one in about 55 years, but for entirely different raesons. Seems the world is experiencing something resembling the movie "day After tommorow"

BTW, I'm 100% serious, but the facts arent 100%.

I've heard about a chunk of land "falling off" La Palma causing a mega-tsunami, but not LA. Well, anything's possible, really, but I think some people are overreacting.

Don't panic! (Unless you don't know where your towel is)

I know theres an article somewhere, but I'm just going by the information of my mental Socials teacher. he usuallyknows some interesting things....maybe it wasn't LA, but it's somewhere on teh coast of the U.S.

I'm curious... why exactly are they predicting a Tsunami hitting Newfoundland? That seems a little odd to me.

Ouch. I'm glad I'm not in that part of Canada. But I'm sure when the time comes they'll have better systems for warning people than they do now.

Yah....A very disturbing thought is that if this one volcano is nearing it;s end, how long until others do?

Hey, is anybody else looking forward to seeing photographs of the Oceans Surface now? Some plates shifted 24 Miles I think! Tahts what i heard at least...lol

Drizzt Do'Urden said:
Yah....A very disturbing thought is that if this one volcano is nearing it;s end, how long until others do?
Can a volcane actually come to an end? And why should it envolve an explosion, I would assume it would be an earthquake... Any science people in here who knows?

Yes, he is right. I have heard about this. The scary thing is that a mega Tsunami will hit the US and it's not a question of IF it's a question of WHEN and this one will make the one that his Asia seem like a ripple.

Here is the info :)

The Cumbre Vieja volcano on the Canary Islands' La Palma island may not erupt again for centuries, but when it does disaster could spread across oceans. Shaken loose by the eruption, a gigantic chunk of the mountain's western flank could slide into the Atlantic - shoving massive tsunamis toward the coasts of Africa, Europe, South America, Newfoundland and even the United States.

In the worst-case scenario (detailed in an article in the Sept. 1 issue of Geophysical Research Letters by geophysicists Steven Ward of the University of California at Santa Cruz and Simon Day of University College, London) half a trillion tons of volcanic rock would slip into the ocean.

Map courtesy of the BBC. Within five minutes, a wall of water would rise to 1,500-feet high and travel at high-speed 30 miles out to sea. The wave would weaken before it reached land, but it still could be 900 feet high when it would slam into nearby islands.
Over the next five to 45 minutes, a series of waves would ripple outward, their crests reaching 150 feet before barreling into the African coast, Spain and England.

Six hours after the eruption, waves reaching 30 feet would arrive in Newfoundland and 45- to 60-foot waves would bombard South America, swamping large parts of land. Nine hours after the eruption, crests reaching 30 to 70 feet would collide into the East Coast of the United States.

However, scientists say the entire area of unstable slope may not fall at once. Instead, smaller landslides may occur over time. These landslides would produce waves one-fourth to half the height of the mega tsunami. Moreover, the disaster is not expected to happen anytime soon. The Cumbre Vieja Volcano last erupted in 1949 and has shown no signs of activity.

"Let's not scare people," Ward told the Associated Press. "Certainly there is no indication that this will happen anytime soon." Even if an eruption occurs, a landslide is not inevitable, he added.

However, the possibility remains. A giant crack stretches up and down the volcano's western flank, threatening to break loose. The threat comes as no surprise. Landslides make up the volcano's history. A pile of debris from past landslides lies on the seafloor at the base of the volcano.

"Volcanoes try to continuously add lava to a steep slope, and eventually the slope becomes so heavy it fails," Peter Lipman, a volcanologist with the U.S. Geological Survey, told the Associated Press. "I don't see this as something that is likely to happen very often at La Palm. But it had a failure like this half a million years ago and will again in the future."

Tsunamis, often incorrectly called tidal waves, reach all the way to the sea floor. Out at sea, they look like regular waves. However, as they approach land, the sea floor rises, pushing the wave upward.

Such an event is not expected to occur anytime soon, but if a tsunami were to strike the U.S. coast, it could be extremely destructive.

Earthquakes or landslides under the ocean cause most tsunamis. In 1998, more than 2,200 people lost their lives when 20- to 30-foot waves - generated by undersea earthquakes -- crashed into Papua New Guinea.

While what happened is a natural tragedy I'm getting sick and tired of how hyped the media has become about this. Newspapers and televised broadcasts urge us to donate to the appeal, then I go to work and they are urging us to donate as is the canteen's separate collection, and wherever I go for lunch there's buckets waiting to collect more money. Now, I can hardly go to any website without being asked to donate money to this appeal.

It's all a major hype. If we really wanted to care and rebuild places after natural disasters then why, in December 2003, were we not harangued into giving every penny we had to help rebuild Iran after the earthquake there killed 15,000. Or in the nineties when one, in the same place, killed over 30,000. (News Story)

Is it because Iran is "evil"? Is it because Thailand, and other localities there, are holiday destinations for westerners? Is it because the heads of all these media corporations that tell us to donate, donate, donate! are all paedophiles who can't wait to get back to molesting young children in countries where it's the norm?

Stewart said:
While what happened is a natural tragedy I'm getting sick and tired of how hyped the media has become about this. Newspapers and televised broadcasts urge us to donate to the appeal, then I go to work and they are urging us to donate as is the canteen's separate collection, and wherever I go for lunch there's buckets waiting to collect more money. Now, I can hardly go to any website without being asked to donate money to this appeal.

It's all a major hype. If we really wanted to care and rebuild places after natural disasters then why, in December 2003, were we not harangued into giving every penny we had to help rebuild Iran after the earthquake there killed 15,000. Or in the nineties when one, in the same place, killed over 30,000. (News Story)

Is it because Iran is "evil"? Is it because Thailand, and other localities there, are holiday destinations for westerners? Is it because the heads of all these media corporations that tell us to donate, donate, donate! are all paedophiles who can't wait to get back to molesting young children in countries where it's the norm?

Very well said. The media are sick jackles. Whenever something happens be it 9/11 or Tsunami they swoop and MILK IT for all its worth. Bastards. The lot of them.

SillyWabbit said:
Very well said. The media are sick jackles. Whenever something happens be it 9/11 or Tsunami they swoop and MILK IT for all its worth. Bastards. The lot of them.
I am really disgusted by the way some have used this disaster to promote themself or their company...

I am not a science majored. but what i was thinking was that, we'd better consider it as a whole, I mean, if you know what butterfly effect is about, the whole earth works as one. and I do think humanbeing's behavor somewhat get involved.

This may offend people...

British comedian Richard Herring writes about attending a comedy gig of excellent Glaswegian comedian Jerry Sadowitz (see, there are funny guys called Jerry!) who, it seems, is starting off his gigs with a five minute rant about the tsunami.

Anyway, I went to see his close up magic show at the Soho theatre last night, having not seen him live for almost a decade. I didn't know if it was going to be straight magic with no jokes or whether I'd still see the Sadowitz of old, but a five minute rant about the tsunami at the start certainly cleared up any confusion. I didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to do gags about this subject yet and I certainly didn't think anyone would be able to genuinely funny about it, but Sadowitz was on blistering form. Because of who he is, he can say anything - some of which is just downright offensive, but some of which gets right to the heart of it. So he can say that he knows he shouldn't be too upset because it's just a load of chinks, but also berate the Evening Standard for the headline "50 Britons dead" flying in the face of the overwhelming indiginous loss of life. It's cathartic and for me as close to comedy genius as you're ever likely to see (after anything Stewart Lee does obviously). I was genuinely delighted to see he was still the Jerry of old, seemingly ad libbing these abhorrent but wonderfully constructed lines, plus there was an underlying mirthfulness to his performance that I don't remember. As well as a delightful and open bitterness at the success of others and the diminishing chances of him achieving anything similar ( I loved his line about an impossible magic trick being to watch Bo Selecta without shouting "**** off, you unfunny cunt!" Big round of applause too.)

Regarding the media and how they are a bunch of arses and hypocrites. Have a look at this news story from the Daily Star in 2001. On the right it lambasts Channel 4 for showing a satire about paedophilia (called Brass Eye) and how it was sick and tasteless and every other big word they could find for their intellectually stunted readers. Then, on the page on the right, there is a news story (with photo) about Charlotte Church's boobs despite the fact that she is only fifteen and, under British law, considered a minor.

Stewart said:
On the right it lambasts Channel 4 for showing a satire about paedophilia (called Brass Eye) and how it was sick and tasteless and every other big word they could find for their intellectually stunted readers. Then, on the page on the right, there is a news story (with photo) about Charlotte Church's boobs despite the fact that she is only fifteen and, under British law, considered a minor.
:D people who live in glass houses should not throw stones....

I think it's allright to joke about the tsunami, but I haven't heard any good tsunami jokes yet..

Was in the pub last night and noticed that one of the cocktails on offer was called a tsunami - we were discussing the possibility of asking a barmaid for a pitcher of it and telling her to just give us a big wave when its ready.

Back