• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

UK Book - I can't remember the title, pls help

Uki

I am really lost trying to remember the title of this book. I really must find it.

It was by a UK Author (I think female?!) and was a story written after the death of a writer.

The story is situated around a widowed wife dealing with a deceased writer's obsessive relationship with their daughters. The family is well to do and lives on the English seaside. The writer lives with his wife, however they fall apart once the wife has children. He becomes totally infatuated with his two daughters who in kind think the world of their father. He ignores his wife and she becomes part of the furniture. They live in a large house on the sea which the wife despises.

The two daughters are major characters also, and there is an issue surrounding the house's sale. The daughters don't wish to leave their dying fathers/family home alone. One of whom believes it is her right to move in and reside their.

The book focuses on the wife dealing with the total avoidance of her husband emotionally after the daughters are born. They live in a big house on the seaside which she despises, and is often tormented/ignored by her husband who is a well renowned writer.

The novel has abstracts and surrounds the pinnacle character (the deceased writer) in parts where snippets of his last book are quoted. These snippets are dictated by his publisher (a character in the book), and at the end of the book it is discovered that the writer was gay and closeted. He speaks of his younger years, going to a park in england where he meets a gent but is hurried on by a police officer. He also speaks of his brother possibly being gay and near the end his experience in a bath house where he stumbles across a man of his dreams who in turn is his brother. Quite a weird ending, but leads to the heart of the story - the writers lifelong closeting.

Thats what I remember. It was a great book and I hope I can find the title!

Also I remember something about a moth publisher mark the deceased writer used that held a significance to the story?

Back