• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Victor Hugo

Dear Chateaubriand, I have a question for you as the Hugo's admirer. Why did Javert commit suicide? Was it his victory or admittance of being defeated? Did he change himself a little before his death? I have been wondering recently...

Well, I guess you have to consider who Javert is, what his values are. When he releases Valjean, he contradicts everything that he is; his standards, his values, everything that is Javert. But he is doing the right thing, letting Valjean go. And by doing right by ethics, he is doing wrong by the law he has dedicated his life to. His life has no meaning after that.

At least that's how I see it. He was defeated by himself, sort of.

Take care!

Thanks for the Hugo website! I have recently become interested in his work. I am currently reading The Laughing Man (The Man Who Laughs). It is one of those pocketbooks from around 1900 that is not in very good shape. I am really enjoying the book. I am looking for a better hardback antique book. I will be getting Les Miserables from my Easton Press subscription sometime.

--Tim

Hi Tim!

I wish I was reading The Man Who Laughs for the first time - it's my favorite! Enjoy, and enjoy The Victor Hugo Website!

Take care,
Peter

Back